Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 9:22:57 PM EDT
I am going to get a compact acog.  I would like to have it set up for  0-300m.  Any sugg on power and reticle(also color)?  It would be a A2 mount on a 16in CAR.  I do not understand how the 1.5 x 16 has more fov than the 1.5 x 24 also. Thank you for any replies
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They are all great. I have used more than a few of them, and will get one sooner or later. Personally, I will be getting the 2x with the red trianlge. I like the 2x over the 1.5x ACOGs for the greater magnification, while maintaining good eye relief and field of view. The 3x is also great, but does have shorter eye reilef and field of view. Seriously, any of them are great, I just think I would want the 2x for myself.

I find the triangle to be the best and most useful of all the Comp ACOG reticles. Crosshair is a fine reticle and good for accuracy, but it will be the slowest to use in CQB. The dot is quick, but lacks a precise aiming point. The Triangle is just as quick as the dot, but you can use the sharp apex for accurate shots.

I have found the red to be brighter and a better contrast to the amber. Other board members disagree and feel the amber is brighter. If you have the chance, try to see an ACOG with both a red and amber reticle. Find out which ones appears easier for you to use. Good luck, and seriously... there really is no bad choice!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a ton of experience with the Compact ACOG yet due to the fact that I just got mine.  I bought a TA40-2.  It's the 2x20 with amber triangle reticle and uses the special rings mount.  It is mounted on the MM07 mount which enables me to mount it on a carrying handle.

If you need lots of eye relief then it is probably the one to go with.  The 3x Compact ACOGs have much less eye relief according to Trijicon.  I don't shoot with my nose to the charging handle so I need as much eye relief as I can get.  The 2x20 has plenty.  I have it mounted so that the rear of the scope is over the rear sight aperature.  Works really well.  

I can't comment on the merits of red vs amber, however, the amber works great for me.  Very easy to see and the contrast is great for all the backgrounds that I have used it against.

If you are worried about buying an ACOG without being able to handle one, don't worry about it.  I bought mine without ever having seen one and think that it was one of the best purchases I have ever made.  (Ask questions, especially new-arguy.)    
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top