Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Every magazine you purchase should be bought with the intent to fill it.

If you have 20 empty mags, you either haven’t bought enough ammo, or you need to shoot more. Unless of course you’re hoarding, in which case ammo should still be first.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep the mags I keep will be either filled or put away. Don't know why I should not have unloaded mags in storage. One day you may need to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gen 3 pmags are garbage, they don’t work in half my lowers…. Magpul followers are the tits though.

You can’t beat the seating click of a GI mag

What is “bullet presentation”?
View Quote

Nothing feeds as well as PMags. They will even feed blanks reliably in an M249
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Mags are like ammo, you can never have enough. Now if you consider this to be a “hobby” then I guess you really don’t need that many mags.
I don’t consider my Right to keep and bear arms a hobby so I have a lot of mags and I keep buying.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally speaking for each weapon
I like 2-4 magazines full and ready for self
defense if it is also an SD/range gun, then enough dedicated range mags to get through most of a range session without filling magazines. After that I create a pot of spares and THAT gets replenished based on how frequently I have to junk ones in use. I am done buying AR mags for now as I feel 20-25 reserve ones is enough for me.  Since I just got my 9mm running I’m getting a couple more stick mags. One for immediate use, one in reserve. I don’t care about huge amounts of anything 8-10 rounds but I feel the need to have spares of anything 15 and over.

I don’t expect to be grandfathered in under capacity law changes (But I hope I would be) but I want to last through any shortages created by panic stemming from such proposals. Therefore I’m not going to end up with 100 spares of every high capacity magazine. That’s ammo
money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The amount of (AR, Glock, etc) mags that exist in the wild today compared to 1994 is WAY higher.  There’s gotta be billions of high capacity magazines out there just sitting factory new in closets/basements.  I don’t believe a pmag or G17 mag will be worth a $100.

IMO You’re better off grabbing a few dozen extra followers/springs, critical gun parts, reloading equipment, etc
View Quote

+1 on the followers/springs and critical gun parts. I need to get on the ball with that myself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking more about selling them during the next ban.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got like 2-3 boxes of magazines, metal and magpul, still in the wrapper. I don't know how many magazines I have in the ammo cans, loaded and unloaded. I see those 10 packs and get tempted, but decided I'm not going to hump all that in a SHTF anyway.

My prediction is if there is another ban, it will be illegal to sell mags already owned.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My prediction is if there is another ban, it will be illegal to sell mags already owned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got like 2-3 boxes of magazines, metal and magpul, still in the wrapper. I don't know how many magazines I have in the ammo cans, loaded and unloaded. I see those 10 packs and get tempted, but decided I'm not going to hump all that in a SHTF anyway.

Bank on that.  They learned from the last ban on this.   If there is another ban, most likely it will be a full and complete ban, without grandfathering. If by some "compromise", there is grandfathering, no way in Hell are they going to allow transfering.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bank on that.  They learned from the last ban on this.   If there is another ban, most likely it will be a full and complete ban, without grandfathering. If by some "compromise", there is grandfathering, no way in Hell are they going to allow transfering.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly hope it would not be a complete ban without grandfathering. That would suck up and down, back and forth, in and out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember when I had like 20-30 mags and thought 100 would be insane to have.  Then I passed 100 and was like...yup, ill keep buying them when they r cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy enough to last your lifetime.  Maybe a few more for feels.  

Ammo is more important.
View Quote

Agreed!....
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#12]
It's probably worth differentiating between owning 100+ mags of a single type and owning 100+ mags for 20 or so different firearms.

Not all of my guns are Glocks and AR's, so a large part of why I have a lot of magazines is having a decent quantity for a variety of guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
What I've done with my AR mags is divide them into training mags that are out of the package and loaded and new in package.

Whether you want an extra 100 or whatever magazines unopened for training will be up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I personally like having lots of magazines since I don't like loading them at the range.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got well over 100 USGI and P-Mags, I have about filled with ammo because when the call to arms sounds in the beginning, when are you going to have the time to load them.
When I see a deal and I pony up, I've got plenty of storage space.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right now, there are magazines that are drying up, like good Colt-pattern 9mm magazines and high-cap magazines for Para P-series guns.
View Quote

@heavymetal762

Just saw CDNN having Colt 32 rd 9mm mags and Para P mags on sale an hour ago.

CD
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]
It's surprising that mags are still available and cheap. I would have thought we'd have long since seen prices go up and availability go down.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's surprising that mags are still available and cheap. I would have thought we'd have long since seen prices go up and availability go down.
View Quote

How many mags do you have from previous panic cycles? A lot of people are stocked up, and unlike ammo, mags aren't consumables.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got well over 100 USGI and P-Mags, I have about filled with ammo because when the call to arms sounds in the beginning, when are you going to have the time to load them.
When I see a deal and I pony up, I've got plenty of storage space.
View Quote

Good stuff. But the reality is that we're not organized, have no coms, no leaderships established and the one big one concerning the point of this thread: when "duty calls" you won't be able to carry it all on your person anyways.

I personally think a bandolier of your range ammo that also can be used in a true SHTF and what's loaded already on your gear or in your gun is quite enough and is more realistic.

And all the ammo is in clips and I have a Striplula along with a few spares, reloading is way too easy to do. By the time your loading your fifth round I have already loaded one mag. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Thought I was good on magazines until I saw my lgs had  Translucent Olive Drab Lancer magazines yesterday.

Must

Have
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thought I was good on magazines until I saw my lgs had  Translucent Olive Drab Lancer magazines yesterday.

Must

Have
View Quote
Wait, wait, wait, what??? Details? First I have heard of this, seriously do want a few.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Must

Have
View Quote

I thought those were a Big Daddy Unltd exclusive
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
GA Firing Line in Marietta has them.

They also carry the Perst 3, fwiw.

Just recently became a TNVC dealer, as well

Attachment Attached File

I told my son that I was going to hate myself for not buying a "standard load-out" of them, but I was already over-budget for the day. Just got two...
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They also carry the Perst 3, fwiw.

Just recently became a TNVC dealer, as well

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20211017_225125_jpg-2134297.JPG
View Quote

I kust looked that GA store, nothing in OD or OD translucent.

I saw red but I figured to leave that one alone for the poors to match their other red anodized stuffs
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely not. Get 10 mags per rifle at most. They will last forever. If anything, buy spare springs if you are concerned with use.

If you had the choice to get 50 mags or 1000 rounds of ammo? Get the freaking ammo. Mags last forever, ammo is actually used. And if the Russian ammo sanction/ban told you anything it should tell you that American made ammo is next.

Quoted:
So.....there was this thing that happened starting in 1994.
View Quote

And I see those magazines show up all the time in the EE. Funny. It was a ban, not a destruction. Given how many magazines flooded the market after that thing in 1994, there's no need to hoard them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Always
Buy
More
Mags.
View Quote

Listen to the man...he speaks the truth!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Deal
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Absolutely not. Get 10 mags per rifle at most. They will last forever. If anything, buy spare springs if you are concerned with use.

If you had the choice to get 50 mags or 1000 rounds of ammo? Get the freaking ammo. Mags last forever, ammo is actually used. And if the Russian ammo sanction/ban told you anything it should tell you that American made ammo is next.

And I see those magazines show up all the time in the EE. Funny. It was a ban, not a destruction. Given how many magazines flooded the market after that thing in 1994, there's no need to hoard them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spoken like a man who shoots his gear.  Once you get a sufficient number of mags to cover all your usage, plus a few spares - additional mags are a consumption of resources that could have gone to ammo and shooting more.  3 30's and 2 20's is the minimum count of mags.  10 mags split along those lines, per gun, is more than enough - and the rest will just be collecting dust.  Dust that could have been gunpowder running 3000 fps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Listen to the man...he speaks the truth!
View Quote

So what's enough? 100? 200? 300?

I'm good with past a 100, you can't carry it all anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy what makes you happy.  Decide for yourself what that magic number is.

I know guys that are happy with 2 mags,  and that's likely 1 more than they will ever use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

if you have cash to spend on items for your stockpile.. might be a good time to look at your entire situation, and start stocking up on items you are lacking.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol, I guess I should dump my KAC, DD, BCM and Colt lowers that wont seat the Gen 3 pmag properly.  That way I can be sure the 2 dozen Gen 3 pmags I have in plastic will get used at some point.  

Magpul makes some nice stuff, but defending their M3 PMAGs as perfect is pretty rich.  Mags are built to work around the gun, not the other way around.

I didn’t realize “presentation angle” meant anything when you “ease the bolt forward” considering no AR-15 bolt is ever eased forward when you’re actually shooting it.
View Quote

Yes, Yes you should. Your rifles are out of spec.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20211017_225125_jpg-2134297.JPG

I told my son that I was going to hate myself for not buying a "standard load-out" of them, but I was already over-budget for the day. Just got two...
View Quote

I hope you don't mind, I called them and ordered a few. I've been looking for them for a long time, after managing to get some from a member here who had extras from a Big Daddy Unlimited order. The two GA Firing Line staff that I talked to were incredibly helpful and friendly - they seem like really nice folks. They have a website but didn't have them listed, so they took a phone order for me, which I don't think they normally do.

I'm hoping this might be an indication that Lancer is adding the color to their regular line, instead of just an exclusive for BDU.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#33]
It's common for them to not list stuff on their website.  They don't list the (popular) Perst 3/4, either.

They will also spend quite a bit of time with each customer there.  Which can sometimes mean that you have to wait patiently...
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I have about 16 that I keep as range mags and these have been proven very well....have been in use for over 10 years...

In storage I have way more than I will ever need...ban or no ban.  I continue to buy more, add to my Brownells orders....not many at a time, but they do add up.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Also, user name checks out. lol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Well there's so many of them now I don't think they'll skyrocket like after 1994.
I think there's better investments to make.  If you really want to keep buying mags, I'd look at more niche mags.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Food, water, power and energy are going up in price so buy water filter, food and other critical preps like medicine, and first aid while they are available since you might certain items not be available at some point. Ammo is available online or locally depending on where you live. Buy a few spare BCGs and spare parts as well. By all means buy magazines if you need them and build yourself a bug our bag as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I just picked up a GI magazine to replace one I finally junked that a buddy gave me to get me started when I got into ARs and needed everything. Probably already had thousands of rounds through it and many drops when I got it a few years ago. Just refused to feed in my 223 Wylde gun anymore. Mis-fed every other round. Spring felt done for.

I replaced the one I junked from my parts bin. Totally didn’t need to do this. I still Had plenty in the packages after I did that, but then ordered another metal magazine to
go into the parts bin to replace the one I put into my range rotation. I have a certain number I want to stay at for range and reserve that I just don’t want to go below.

Pick a number and then stick to it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
No.  But I also can't tell you a good reason NOT to buy them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember, as does Pepperidge Farms. I have my SHTF mag stash set up. I will not be caught lacking when the next mag bans gets pushed through.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Those of us who lived through the 94 ban know all to well the pain and struggle of trying to find magazines. These are still the salad days of mags and I buy what I can when I can. They are so cheap, you can pick up a couple without even thinking about it. God forbid another ban is passed, I will have a good personal stash and have a nice little pile to make some $$.
View Quote

I am right there with you brother, no homo! Seriously, a mag ban is easy for the political class to pass since they are not banning guns- "I support the 2A, we are just limiting the mags to stop mass shootings"- mag bans allow them to play both sides for political expediency. The struggle in 94-04 was real and it fucking sucked major ass, never again!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

IMO You’re better off grabbing a few dozen extra followers/springs, critical gun parts, reloading equipment, etc
View Quote

After 350+ mags that’s the point I finally reached.I’ve now got at least 3 of every part there is on a AR15.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1 on the followers/springs and critical gun parts. I need to get on the ball with that myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount of (AR, Glock, etc) mags that exist in the wild today compared to 1994 is WAY higher.  There’s gotta be billions of high capacity magazines out there just sitting factory new in closets/basements.  I don’t believe a pmag or G17 mag will be worth a $100.

The ironic thing about obtaining spare parts for mags is once you spend the money on each individual part, it can often add up to the same cost of a whole mag or more, in many cases. I have a box of spare mag parts, but I didn't purchase most of the parts individually. Whenever a mag breaks or begins malfunctioning, I throw away the bad parts and keep the good parts as spares.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The only problem with this logic is if ownership is banned and parts/rebuild kits are also banned.  California fixed this with their last set of laws passed so you’d be sittting on a bunch of illegal magazines no one wants because no one is allowed to possess them legally.
View Quote

Yep, they will not allow us to sell mags legally or pass them down, and probably wont be a grandfather clause
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless it's for a new gun who's mags I don't already own, I've got good reasons to stop buying mags once at or slightly past 100. There's just no point to it for me to keep wasting the money since I'm not in it to arm a militia or flip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good morning all. I have probably more than 100 magazines and most of them are unused and still in their wrap.

But whenever I see deals for magazines, I am tempted to buy more.

Is there any realm of reason that I should buy more? What do you think about this vice?
View Quote
Go to archive.org, look up soldier of fortune magazine, then look how much pre ban mags were selling for during the ban. that will answer your question.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple years ago one city did a gun buyback, they included magazines, if you had a case of thermo!d 20's , you could have tripled your money, bought pmags, and still have cash for ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Opinions vary. Buy what makes you happy. There is no right/wrong answer here.

To each their own......
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Grow a stash to whatever you feel comfortable with. If you feel you have enough, good. If you feel you need more, get more. Mags are still cheap and plentiful. Take advantage of that window while it still exists. Who knows how much longer it will exist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good stuff. But the reality is that we're not organized, have no coms, no leaderships established and the one big one concerning the point of this thread: when "duty calls" you won't be able to carry it all on your person anyways.

I personally think a bandolier of your range ammo that also can be used in a true SHTF and what's loaded already on your gear or in your gun is quite enough and is more realistic.

And all the ammo is in clips and I have a Striplula along with a few spares, reloading is way too easy to do. By the time your loading your fifth round I have already loaded one mag. Food for thought.
View Quote

This.  I keep 3 mags in the house 3 mags in the Jeep of just basic 55grn stuff.  The rest of my mags are empty and just sitting in boxes.  I have a ton of them.  I'm almost 40. Most likely what I have is more than enough to last me to the end of my life, and then if my kids have no interest in guns most likely sold off for pennies on the dollar or thrown out.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top