Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2021 4:20:33 PM EDT
Are E-Landers still the Tier 1 mags for the 6.5 Grendel? I plan to stick with 10rd mags for comfort when shooting from various positions. Larue has the 17rd mags on sale right now, should I FO and get them or stick with 10 rounders? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
17’s have been great for me. I haven’t used the 10’s so can’t comment on those.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just remembered I can't order the 17's here and need to ship them 900 miles away so I can pick them up later
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just remembered I can't order the 17's here and need to ship them 900 miles away so I can pick them up later
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM Sent
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

PM Sent
View Quote

Thanks man! Can I get an autographed jersey
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple E-Lander ten round mags and eleven seventeen round E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags which have been gtg.  I also bought two of the twenty round CPD/Duramag magazines and they are gtg.   Very rarely do you hear of problems with ten round 6.5 Grendel mags.  I have one original C Products and two ASC ten round mags which are gtg.

In my opinion all the current 6.5 Grendel mag designs are fine the problem is quality control.   All the different 6.5 Grendel brand magazines have lemons slip out.   There was a post a few days ago that JSE Surplus had CPD/Duramag mags in stock and last time I looked Joebobsoutfitter had 6.5 Grendel mags in stock.

One disadvantage of the E-Lander mags is they use steel bodies which are heavier and don’t allow cartridges as long as CPD/D or ASC which are stainless steel.   The thicker body E-L are fine for factory ammo but if you reload and want to seat the bullet longer then CPD/D or ASC might be a better option.  I reload but keep my ammo the same length to work in several 6.5 Grendel firearms.

I’ve bought E-Lander mags from LaRue Tactical and got my mags but their web site does not reflect in stock inventory.   I ordered LaRue MBT-2S triggers plus E-L mags and got two different packages but was only charged shipping once because the mags were not in stock.

New E-Lander mags ship with very stout springs.  The E-L mags take a while to wear in.   You can speed up the process by keeping the mags loaded.  I’ve also used a wooden ruler or dowel rod to push the follower up and down numerous times to help the mags wear in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I feel your pain.
View Quote

Fuck'em I'll order 10 rounders like I wanted plus I'll get some 17 rounders despite their silly ass rules.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine have been flawless.  I’ve read that others have had issues.

Homebuild on an aero lower
UU Kit with LaRue lower
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I use 6.5 Grendel elander mags in my 6mm arc.

after a long weekend match, my feed lips were so bowed out, they could barely be inserted into the magwell
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good luck with all of my Elander mags in a variety of rifles until just recently.  Built out a gun on a 17 design IFLR and was having failures to feed with the nose of the round jamming into the M4 feed ramps of the upper.  Turns out that the Elander mags sit just a hair on the low side compared to the ASC or Duramags.  This was causing the rounds to present just low enough to hit the feed ramp below the barrel extension, eventually making a divot and causing malfunctions.  I had to go in and clean up the divot with the dremel and some files as well as switch to something other than the Elanders in that lower.  Other than that, I've had no issues out of the dozen or so Elanders I've used.  I even bought some from a guy who claimed they were bad mags that jammed up in his rifle, worked fine for me... until that specific lower.  Which honestly is more of an issue with the lower than the mags... but still a tolerance stacking issue that did not occur with the other magazines.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Have some and love em no issues, heavier and well made, glossy black so def more flashy but function is 100% YMMV
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with all of my Elander mags in a variety of rifles until just recently.  Built out a gun on a 17 design IFLR and was having failures to feed with the nose of the round jamming into the M4 feed ramps of the upper.  Turns out that the Elander mags sit just a hair on the low side compared to the ASC or Duramags.  This was causing the rounds to present just low enough to hit the feed ramp below the barrel extension, eventually making a divot and causing malfunctions.  I had to go in and clean up the divot with the dremel and some files as well as switch to something other than the Elanders in that lower.  Other than that, I've had no issues out of the dozen or so Elanders I've used.  I even bought some from a guy who claimed they were bad mags that jammed up in his rifle, worked fine for me... until that specific lower.  Which honestly is more of an issue with the lower than the mags... but still a tolerance stacking issue that did not occur with the other magazines.
View Quote

Just curious, is it with only one bullet profile or no matter what ammo or bullet is used? I had a M16 clone build that was doing that with only one specific bullet unless it was ran completely at max mag length and it would still do it off and on. Changed the bullet type after dicking around with many things and it runs flawlessly now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I didn't have a lot to work with given its now and its Grendel.  I was shooting mostly Wolf, but I also tried American Gunner BTHP, and Hornady Black ELD-M, and as far as I could tell it was doing with all three of them.  Sometimes it would feed, sometimes not.  It was jacking up the nose on the round each time, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I had to tweak the feed lips on a 24 round ASC mag because the cartridge wouldn’t feed from one side.   You might be able to bend the feed lips a little on the E-Lander mag to let the cartridge and nose set higher.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top