Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2001 3:26:31 PM EDT
This is probably an easy one for most ...I have removed the floorplate, the spring, and the "black" follower. Now I am having trouble getting the green follower into the magazine.  I have managed to get the spring into the hole on the g.f. but cannot get the whole thing to go in.  I have not bent any of the flanges yet, but am not sure if that would help.  Do I just need to spend more time coaxing it in or do I need to do something else first?  BTW, I am trying to reassemble through the bottom of the mag.

thanks

Robert
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have put a couple green followers in old POS 20rd mags where the aluminum followers were severely corroded.  A couple things I had to do to make it work easier:
-trim about 1/16" off the 20rd spring tip that holds the follower.  This aids getting the green follower onto the spring.
-Install the follower and spring from the top with the floorplate removed.  Wiggle and coax the spring down until there's about 1 coil left before the follower starts into the mag.  Put the follower into the mag back-end first, over the spring.  Then push the rest of the follower in.  Once the follower's in, install the normal 20rd floorplate.
Since I'm using the mags for NRA highpower rifle competition, I don't worry about capacity being the full 20 rounds.
The advice about not replacing the aluminum followers is accurate.  They'll work very well for the life of the rifle as long as they're properly maintained.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
With the follower about 30 degree angle to the bottom edge of the mag, slip the front of the green follower into the bottom, under the front tabs first.  Then it is easy, wiggling the follower side to side, to slip it past the rear tabs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats wrong with me? I couldn't for my life get the damn follower in until I reversed the stated procedure, starting from the rear 1st.   At least I finally got a system going.
Link Posted: 2/19/2003 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a question guys, i am new to this site, and a little new to the magazine rebuilding stuff, but i have a couple of cooper mags, that are obviously terrible, can they be rebuilt to perform reliable or no?
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just did a Follower and spring change and this info was very helpful, thank you.  One question though.  I grabed some new USGI springs at the gun show with the followers and the spring is wound the oppisite way.  Does this mean I did not get USGI springs like I was told?  Thanks

Gunfighter01: It is my understanding that a rebuild is possible with most mag bodies.  I believe that the most important thing is to check and make sure that the feeding lips are not cracked. Also make sure the Tabs on the bottom are not cracked or missing.  I would suspect that if the feeding lips were bent out of spec either too tight or to loose that it could cause malfunctions but I have never heard of anyone measuring this as part of a rebuild.

Eric
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i have a question guys, i am new to this site, and a little new to the magazine rebuilding stuff, but i have a couple of cooper mags, that are obviously terrible, can they be rebuilt to perform reliable or no?
View Quote

My understanding (check MAG FAQ) is that Cooper's fatal flaw was shoddy craftsmanship regarding the mag bodies. Check to see if you have the shoddy 3 spot welds or standard 6 spots. If you lucked out with 6 spots as some of their mags had, then it should be as simple as a rebuild kit (spring GF & floorplate).
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Guys,
Does anyone here knoe if the anti tilt followers (or can be made to fit)other mags like Orlites or the current issue RG SA80/AR15 30's?
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I added the green followers to my british steel mags and no function problems,work great and I left them loaded to 29 rounds the mag will take 30 but with little play so I go 1 lees.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I just changed the black followers to green on about a dozen older 30-rd USGI mags. The first one or two were a challenge, but after a while, you'll learn the finer points of how to position and "jiggle" the G/F into the mag well without the need to bend any of the floorplate retainer lips. This might not sound like a totally scientific answer, but you'll get the hang of it after a while. Good luck.
phoenix27
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
HI,

GENTLEMEN, I will have to change the followers also, but here is a stupid question where can I buy some GREEN followers, suggestion of weg site. Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Here we go again with, 29 rounds in a 30 round mag. I pack ALL my mags with FULL capacity. I NEVER experience any malfunctions. USGI's and THERMOLDS get treated equally and still no failures. The 30 extra mags I keep fully loaded in ammo boxes are always ready to go and they too NEVER fail in any way shape or form!
Load 'em up, that's why they hold 30 rounds!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought my springs and followers from computerguy/magazine specialties. Great service, timely delivery.

glimmerman68
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Green(pun intended) person here. Are the green followers the same for the 20rnd and 30rnd or are they different?
Thanks
Al
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
good question Alshear, I hope someone answers it.  I have seen some listed as 20 round and some listed as 30 round followers, so I'm going to guess that there is a difference.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw some listed in the Brownells cataolg
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Green(pun intended) person here. Are the green followers the same for the 20rnd and 30rnd or are they different?
Thanks
Al
View Quote

No, they are different, have a look at the followers that CMMG sells on the EE board, and since a pic is worth a thousand words, you will see that the 30 round follower has an anti-tilt "leg" built in the front.

Moreover, the 30 round follower will not enter in the 20 round mag with the spring attached, try for yourself...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if some of the 20 rounders are in fact wannaba mags like the 10 round capacity, 20 round body that came with my Eagle Arms/Armalite.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top