Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2012 2:50:37 PM EDT
My Colt 6920 had some feeding problems with Thermolds, and someone mentioned that Colt's don't like other mags. So I ordered Colt mags from Botach, and they sent me some Colt mags, and "Okay Industry" mags. Is Okay Industries a sub division of Colt? Anyone have any experience? Should I just return these to Botach?
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
In my humble opinion Okay are the best made and I think they make Colt's magazines.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In my humble opinion Okay are the best made and I think they make Colt's magazines.

+1
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They are good to go if legit.  I realize Botach takes a beating sometimes (no experience myself), but Okay's are as good as it gets.  Same as Colt and NHMTG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My Colt 6920 had some feeding problems with Thermolds, and someone mentioned that Colt's don't like other mags. So I ordered Colt mags from Botach, and they sent me some Colt mags, and "Okay Industry" mags. Is Okay Industries a sub division of Colt? Anyone have any experience? Should I just return these to Botach?

OK is as good as it gets, and is one of two authorized MILSPEC MFGs.

Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK is as good as it gets, and is one of two authorized MILSPEC MFGs.

Nice post count!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay are GTG!
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Same mag but if you paid for Colt and got Okay then Id call them on it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
made not to far from me in new britian. have a ton of them, all good to go.

i drive by the factory and wish they had a store front.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
"and someone mentioned that Colt's don't like other mags"

Ughh, WHAT!?!?!. I would guess the Thermold ( and no, I'm NOT saying all Thermold are junk) is junk and your rifle will cycle beautifully with a quality mag. There is probably a reason cdnn can't hardly give the Thermold 20's away for $3.99. Try the Colt and get back to us. Also try PMag, Lancer, D&H, etc and they should all work nicely.

Anyways, Colt/NHMTG/Okay are all the same mags with different floorplates, and IMHO the finest USGI mags made. From my experience, the ones with Okay floorplates go to the military, NHMTG stamped floorplates go to general civilian sales at an average quality mag price point ($13-$15), and the Colt floorplates are marketed at a higher price point (usually $20-$30) simply due to brand recognition. People see the Colt floorplate and will pay a premium, even though the NHMTG is the same mag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
made not to far from me in new britian. have a ton of them, all good to go.

i drive by the factory and wish they had a store front.

And free samples!
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I contacted Botach, and they said I had to return the Okay Industy mag first before they send out the correct Colt mag. That's an additional 2 weeks, on top of the 3 initial months. (I ordered the mags 3 months ago, and kept on getting emails saying they were out of stock, and didn't know when the new batch will be arriving) I think this is bad customer service.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone. I took out my LE 6920 this evening, and it was 100%! Not one single misfeed or stovepipe using all my 5 Colt and Okay Industry mags (decided to keep the mag). Beautiful rifle, or "system" as my friend would say. I don't think I'll ever us Thermolds again on an AR platform.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seriously, keep the Mag.  It's the same mag with a different stamp.  Not worth it.

Thought I weight into this: if price the same for both, then do as this above advised(keep it and not worth your way on returns and waits), but if more on colt and less on OKAY, contact CS for refunds on differnce.  In experince, Colt mag are much more in price.   Either one is GTG
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Just drove by the okay plant in new Britain

The okay sign.om the side of the building is gone. Wonder if they moved produ tion or are just getting a new sign.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I contacted Botach, and they said I had to return the Okay Industy mag first before they send out the correct Colt mag. That's an additional 2 weeks, on top of the 3 initial months. (I ordered the mags 3 months ago, and kept on getting emails saying they were out of stock, and didn't know when the new batch will be arriving) I think this is bad customer service.

IMO I would return all the Colt mags for a refund (if allowed) & buy Okay Ind. mags out of the EE for cheaper. Surely Botach has a premium on the Colt branded mags (most places/people do), since as you now know Okay & Colt are the same mag but with a different name on the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I used a combination of Okay Ind and Brownell mags extensively in combat. Perfectly fine as long as its in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I like OKAY, D&H, and P-MAGS........in any order!!

For the first two, I just put Magpul followers and bam......done.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got 14 Okay's with the green followers, never had a mag issue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#23]
The OKAY are fine. They are one of three current suppliers to Uncle Sam, Brownells, Center Industries and Okay. I've never had a problem with a green follower mag. I have one Brownells with a Magpul follower and it works too, as does a Higher Capacity 48 round with a metal follower. My gun doesn't seem to be fussy, runs mags oother people say won't work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

colts will work with any decent mag

thermolds do not fit that description

damn near any other mag would work fine in a colt rifle. your 6920 should have come with 2 colt 20 round mags from the factory, if not, someone is ripping you off

but Okay is the MFG that makes colt branded mags.    but all the other including P mags will work fine,

here is a write up on  my colt using the surefire 60 rounder

http://looserounds.com/2012/04/07/surefire-60-round-magazine/
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Got_Guns:
Okay Industries, Inc. in New Britain, CT is alive & well.  The reason the sign was taken down is because they are repainting the building ; new signs with Okay's new logo will be going up the 3rd week in June.  If you wish to purchase NHMTG mags, please contact Ronan Corp in W. Simsbury, CT at (860) 523-0529.  Ronan is the distributor for NHMTG 10, 20 & 30rd mags.  

BTW...Okay's business has grown to the point where they have expanded & bought an additional 60,000+ sq.ft. facility in Berlin, CT that will be dedicated for their medical products manufacturing.  Additionally, they recently opened a manufacturing facility in Costa Rica to serve their medical device customers in CR.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got_Guns:
Okay Industries, Inc. in New Britain, CT is alive & well.  The reason the sign was taken down is because they are repainting the building ; new signs with Okay's new logo will be going up the 3rd week in June.  If you wish to purchase NHMTG mags, please contact Ronan Corp in W. Simsbury, CT at (860) 523-0529.  Ronan is the distributor for NHMTG 10, 20 & 30rd mags.  

BTW...Okay's business has grown to the point where they have expanded & bought an additional 60,000+ sq.ft. facility in Berlin, CT that will be dedicated for their medical products manufacturing.  Additionally, they recently opened a manufacturing facility in Costa Rica to serve their medical device customers in CR.

Thats good to here.

Also what medical equipment does Okay manufacture? I am in the medical equipment field, never knew that they made anything but mags.

Feel free to IM if you dont want to post on a public forum.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also what medical equipment does Okay manufacture? I am in the medical equipment field, never knew that they made anything but mags.

Feel free to IM if you dont want to post on a public forum.

Thanks!

Looks like they're busy beavers

http://www.okayind.com/Industries_Served.htm

Industries Served

Medical/Surgical Markets & Applications
Laparoscopic / Endoscopic / Arthroscopic instrument components & assemblies
Surgical stapling components & assemblies
Titanium & Stainless Steel Staples
Surgical Cutters, Blades/Knives, Scissors and assemblies
Ligation instrument components and assemblies
Implantable components
Scalpel Handles and Blades
MIM to Metal Stamping Development

Firearms

Magazines
Receivers
Trigger bars
Pistol and rifle components

Defense/Aerospace

Ordnance components
Aircraft components

Automotive

Valve Train
Air / Fuel Management
Timing Chain Systems
Diesel Systems / Fuel Pumps
Fuel Injection Systems
Anti-lock Braking Systems

Specialty Industrial Markets

Energy / Micro Turbine / Power Generation
Electronics
Fire Protection
Computers / Office Equipment
Commercial/Industrial Hardware & Power Equipment
Marine

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Despite the name, ok industries is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i own 2 preban okays and they run fine thru my preban hbar
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Where is the best place to buy Okay mags? I've never seen them for sale on the usual websites...I even tried google. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where is the best place to buy Okay mags? I've never seen them for sale on the usual websites...I even tried google. Thanks!

NHMTG are the commercial versions - same mag, different stamp. 44mag, Palmetto, and others carry them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Okay Industries is a US Military contractor and have been mfg mags since the late 70's.

They are the subcontractor that manufactures all Colt-marked AR-15 magazines. They also sell magazines under their own name, identical except for the floorplate stamping.  

I have seen USGI surplus  magazines with both Colt and OKAY markings on the same mag,
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]
OKAY makes good mags. Get some.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Good mags for sure.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I have got 2 Okays that came with the Colt AR that I bought  back in the early 90`s . Both still work well with alot of rounds thru them. They are gold in color now , but still work.  I still have 20 OKAY mags new in the white box . All have MAGPUL  Gen III`s in them.I am using about 20 more on  a regular basis amogst others (p-mags, D&H,NTHMG , etc. )always liked the OKAYS. a good GI mag.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Okays are very GTG.

Buy, own, shoot with confidence.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top