Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:16:39 PM EDT
I took a couple of new and recently manufactured Pmag 20s to the range today.  I loaded one to capacity and inserted it on a closed bolt.  No extra room but it locked in easily enough in my LMT and Stag lowers.  Both dropped free.

Both ran flawlessly and held the bolt open after the last round.  I have four others that I picked up when they first came out.  All four have been flawless.

Pmag 20s are my favorite because of their compact design and ease of use at the bench.  I rarely shoot 30 rounds at a time but would appreciate 30 round mags in a SHTF (stuff hit the fan) scenario.

I also like the Lancer 20s.  They seem to have a little extra room and therefore lock in slightly easier when fully loaded and inserted on closed bolt.  As a reloader, I prefer the 20 rd Pmags because they don't scratch the brass cases.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a couple, and liked them too. Perfect for the bench or with bipod, I agree.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
They are all I use. I keep my 30 rounders for SHTF and future ban issues. I even use 20 rounds for home defense because they are easier for me to maneuver through the house. Never had a problem once and have torture tested them without issues.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
+20 on the 20s.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope when Magpul's 20rd molds wear out they will extend the M revision features to the 20rd magazines.  I like the texture and subdued ribs on the M revision magazines.  Maybe add the new floorplate that you can snap on the dust cover.  A gray follower would be cool.  I don't need a window on the 20s, though.

I was so glad when Magpul came out with the straight 20's.  I'm happy with my Magpul 20's the way they are but would like to see the M revision features added to them at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
They are great for the bench and the car.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I love the Pmag 20s. I just wish they dropped free from my BMs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My  20 round PMAGS have been running 100% the last 12 Months........

In Police work 20 rounders are usually preferred. Im a firm beleiver in KISS

They are easier to maneuver it and out of tight police cruisers. Less likely to get caught up on seats ,seat belts ,steering wheel, door.

Also easier to maneuver in tight apartments, basements, trailers. Keeps you a little lower in prone shooting conditions.

Easier to carry a few extra 20 round magazines over a few extra 30 rounders.

Very few police firefights would benefit from 30 rounders being used.

Most Cops carry back-up magazines if needed.

Plus they always carry their sidearms with 2 extra magazines.

So on a heavy Job where the rifle comes out...I have 81 rounds of .223 and
46 rounds of Gold Dot 124gr +P going with me on that job.

That's along with a partner and ton of back-up on the way.

Plus if the fight brings me back to my truck I could reload again with fresh magazines.

So yes 20 rounders either curved or straight are preferred. At least in my opinion.

Now....... If I was a LEO in Iraq I might feel different. Or a total SHTF scene or like what just took place in India.

Anyone in L.E prefer 30's over 20's for routine police work? Reasons?

John

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Where are you guys buying your 20 rounders?
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I buy all my Magazines from 44mag.com

Mark is a great person to do business with. Plus he supports ARFCOM.

John
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
They do seem easier to manuever and less likely to get hung up on stuff.  I usually won't afford to shoot more than 20 rounds in a range session anyway.  20 rounds of ammo seems plenty for 95% of most situations.

I like Pmag 20s so well I just traded for two more.

I've bought mine from 44mag.com and aimsurplus.com.  Aim has 1 cent shipping on the Pmag 20s..  I've had great buying experiences with both 44mag and Aim.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hate to hear that with your BM lowers.  I've had no problems in my Bush, Stag and LMT lowers with any Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hope when Magpul's 20rd molds wear out they will extend the M revision features to the 20rd magazines.  I like the texture and subdued ribs on the M revision magazines.  Maybe add the new floorplate that you can snap on the dust cover.  A gray follower would be cool.  I don't need a window on the 20s, though.

I was so glad when Magpul came out with the straight 20's.  I'm happy with my Magpul 20's the way they are but would like to see the M revision features added to them at some point in the future.

i've not seen the pmag 20s with windows.
aren't the 30s only the ones available with windows?

i prefer the thicker ribs on the pmags. it's a more positive grip for me.

got some pmag 20s from bravo
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sand paper will fix that.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I may give that a try. Is there an appropriate location on the mag to which the sandpaper should be applied?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I may give that a try. Is there an appropriate location on the mag to which the sandpaper should be applied?

Im interested too...I have one 20rd pmag that won't drop out of my Armalite lower.  I like the looks and the price is right.  I just would like them to drop free if I purchased more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AIM.

$13.25, plus 1 cent shipping.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im interested too...I have one 20rd pmag that won't drop out of my Armalite lower.  I like the looks and the price is right.  I just would like them to drop free if I purchased more.

Above my thumb.  A couple of swipes with a medium mill file at the weld seam on the center of the front and back edges of the mag.

Has anyone swapped the old base plates for new, and filed a groove in the lower on an old 20 round PMag to allow the top snap-cap to fit like on the new mags?

ETA: I've been playing with one base plate, trying to 'adapt' it to the new base shape.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
i too bought pmag 20s for bench firing at the range, and am completely satisfied with them.  i have 2 now, but am about to order 3 more (so i can have 100 rounds loaded and ready to go for the range).  no troubles with them dropping from my bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 for the 20rd pmag. Been using them since they were released. Very Nice Going to hit AIM up for a few more in a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM.
$13.25, plus 1 cent shipping.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Above my thumb.  A couple of swipes with a medium mill file at the weld seam on the center of the front and back edges of the mag.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/kaos_crasher/PMag-1.jpg

Has anyone swapped the old base plates for new, and filed a groove in the lower on an old 20 round PMag to allow the top snap-cap to fit like on the new mags?
ETA: I've been playing with one base plate, trying to 'adapt' it to the new base shape.

Thanks for this!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No problems on my Bushy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'm going to have to pick up a few.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problems on my Bushy.
I just picked up a box of 'new' ones from May/'09,  they drop easy from my Spike's and Bush Hamster.  Those were the tight magwells, but the Spike's was tightest on older PMags.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I tested two more new Pmag 20s this afternoon.  Both fed flawlessly, locked the bolt back after last round and dropped free from my Stag and LMT lowers.  More Pmag goodness.

I know the 30rd magazines are hot right now because of fear of future bans, but I don't think the Pmag 20s get enough attention.  You owe it to yourself to add a few to your collection.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]
The 20 rounders are definitely good to go.  Makes things a little handier to move around.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top