Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2008 7:50:13 AM EDT
I bought a couple of P-mags for my dad's new AR.  The 30 rounders would not lock in.  They worked fine in both mine and my brothers Bushmasters but not in his M&P.  The 20 rounder worked fine.  All other magazines have worked fine in the M&P.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
M&Ps have been noted to have problems with PMags.

Too bad S&W basically leaves you high and dry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Contact S&W I have been told they will fix the problem. I haven't dealt with them personally, but some say they will be more than happy to fix the lower.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
You sure you're only loading 30 into them?

You can also try downloading to 28 rounds.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BSW

Good point. There is plenty of room to get 31 rounds in a Pmag.

He set "not lock in" I'm not sure if he meant anything like not dropping free or fitting. He needs to clarify this.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BSW

They would not lock in with an open bolt or when the mag was completely empty.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BSW

They would not lock in with an open bolt or when the mag was completely empty.

Meaning they were sticking in the mag well? Or they just didn't engage the mag catch?

There have been quite a few discussions about M&P mag wells being slightly out of spec. There's not much room for error with a Pmag. If they are sticking in the mag well call S&W and have it fixed. Or don't use Pmags.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The only issue I've had with Pmags is (when loaded with 30 rounds) they really need a good slam into the magwell in order to catch. Other than that, they are flawless.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
This kinda has me worried.  I am currently at Camp Perry and Rock River is selling Pmags for $13.00.  I was wanting to stock up but I have a MP15 OR.  Is the issue with early model MP's or all of them?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This kinda has me worried.  I am currently at Camp Perry and Rock River is selling Pmags for $13.00.  I was wanting to stock up but I have a MP15 OR.  Is the issue with early model MP's or all of them?

Supposedly just earlier ones but I don't know for sure.

That's a great price. I'd buy them anyways.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My understanding (worth what you pay for it) is that the problem is with the early S&W recievers. Specifically the problem is that the bevel on the magwell was not milled to spec.

At one time, S&W was offering to remill the affected recievers.  I don't know if they are still doing this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a batch of P mags that would not drop free from my Colt. I took some time and some sandpaper to make it work. New batches of Pmags have been fine.
Pat
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:

They were selling the PMags for $13.00 at the gun show yesterday, I picked up a few and they fit/work fine in my S&W MP15 OR. Mine is in the 804XX SN range. I think S&W fixed the problem they had with the early lowers - go for it..

Happy Monday,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
So far the only problem I have with P-Mags is not owning enough of them.

I have had far more problems the OP stated with just about every type of mag out there.

(except HK mags, I don't have any. $$$)

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought two 30 round mags and they seem to fit my anvil arms lower just fine, they wont lock in on my olympic arms lower though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought my M&P15T back in January, S/N SW51XXX.  I contacted Magpul with this issue and they told me to contact S&W which I did.  

I finally got around to sending the rifle back to them on July 1st.  I received the rifle back on July 14th.  The repair is flawless and now my PMAGs insert easily and fall free.  No problems or issues.  S&W even paid for shipping both ways.

What is better than that?  Now it is time to stock up on PMAGs  --JEFF
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bought my M&P15T back in January, S/N SW51XXX.  I contacted Magpul with this issue and they told me to contact S&W which I did.  

I finally got around to sending the rifle back to them on July 1st.  I received the rifle back on July 14th.  The repair is flawless and now my PMAGs insert easily and fall free.  No problems or issues.  S&W even paid for shipping both ways.

What is better than that?  Now it is time to stock up on PMAGs  

--JEFF

Good to hear from someone with first hand experience.  Thanks for the input from everyone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I also had a problem with the pmag fitting in my mp15t serial#53xxx, sent to smith and one month later it was shipped back with a new lower installed on it. Shipping paid both ways and even had really good customer service when I had called for updates on the rifle.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top