Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2008 5:47:50 AM EDT
Have successsfully used preban Thermold 30 round mags for years, w/o any problems at all, so was happy to see them back on the market.  Picked up one of the 20 rounders at the show yesterday. and have ended up as a very unhappy camper.

Hand cycling a full 20 rounds I found that the last 5 rounds sit too low at the base to be caught by the forward bolt, and will not even begin to feed. When I disassembled the thing, the spring is a very chinzy looking item, with far fewer coils than the spring on a GI mag. On a hunch, I pulled the spring from a GI mag and installed it in the Thermold. Mag now worked just fine, BUT now only holds 19 rounds.

While this new mag is marked "Wilson, NC, the bag it came in shows a South Carolina address. The mag shows a "95" on the side, which I assume is a manufacture date; since it's also marked " Law Enforcement & Govt Use Only".

Someone has either bought up a bunch of unassembled pieces. or the molds from the 1995 production of these mags, and used a piece of crap spring to assemble hem. We've had postings on this site that the Wilson, NC plant has been closed and empty for years.

Guess I'll pick uip a new GI spec spring, and use the thing as a 19 rounder for sighting in at the range; but I urge y'all to stay the hell away from them.

If anyone else has had experience with this product, or the 30 round version, I'll be interestd to hear about your experience.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
There are some knockoffs being sold by Promag that are China made. Perhaps these are one further evolution of the China evolution, rollmarks and all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Possible, I guess.  Found the bag the mag came in, and it shows an address and phone number for the South Carolina outfit that's peddling these things.  Going to call them and see what I can find out.

Will update w/any info I get.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a few 93/94 dated 20rd Thermolds and eventually sold them. The spring was weak and took a terrible seat when stored loaded. Very weak feeding.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a few 93/94 dated 20rd Thermolds and eventually sold them. The spring was weak and took a terrible seat when stored loaded. Very weak feeding.

Hmmm. That kind of reinforces my notion that this outfit in SC just bought up leftover original stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hmmm. That kind of reinforces my notion that this outfit in SC just bought up leftover original stock.

The problem is from bad design of using a shorter and weaker material spring. Even if new production and they followed the same design, still a fail.

With PMAGS out, Thermolds are just a waste of $$$$.

www.thermoldproducts.com/about.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

With PMAGS out, Thermolds are just a waste of $$$$.

www.thermoldproducts.com/about.html

Why even bother with a magazine forum at all then??  The answer is always the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why even bother with a magazine forum at all then??  The answer is always the same.

Did I hurt your feelings???????
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:26:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Took the mag outfitted w/the Colt spring to the range yesterday. One fully loaded, and 5 loadings of 5 rounds in semi auto, along w/one full mag fired full auto. Zero malfunctions.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is that this S.C. outfit just bought up Thermold's left over ban era stock. If so, then the 30 crounders should be good to go. Think I'll pick one up at the next show I'm at to check it out.

And why get Thermold instead of the newer types?  Because I've been using them successfully for years. So thenk you---I'll stick w/what I know works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I hurt your feelings???????

Don't flatter yourself.........
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't flatter yourself.........

Sounds like I did but I see you are from New York and have other issues of not getting the latest goodies.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top