Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2008 6:31:31 PM EDT
do you guys like chrome silicon or stainless mag springs?
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
SS, the CS springs I tried were so thick that when fully compressed, they removed any and all stack compression and the mag was a PITA to strip a round from. Not a fan of them, they are a solution in search of a problem (or your $$$) imho. Every time I have a question about some part that "will last XXX longer than XXX part" I run over to Clark's Guns and ask Jim Clark about it. The response I get 99% of the time is: They just want to sell you a spring/doodad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
its been awhile back and i may be mistaken...

but im almost certain one of the Magpul guys said to go with SS.

i remember asking because 44 MAG offers both in the PMAG and i was ordering some.

...i wanna say it was something about corrosion(alot less sure about the reason though).

Link Posted: 4/11/2008 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
SS will not rust up like CS and will last a long long time.  When it wears out (if it wears out) you can buy a new SS spring and still have spent less than 1 CS spring.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with SS, I have a box full of mags, and though well protected from the atmosphere, all CS springs are rusted....so I just finished taking a lot of them apart, cleaning, spraying with a protector and putting back together....

Do over again, I would order all SS

77Bronc
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
From CProducts website:

Q: Chrome silicon spring versus 17/7 stainless?
A: Every spring will take a set when compressed. A 17/7 stainless spring in a 20 or 30 round magazine will take a set the first time it is compressed and will continue to do so each time the magazine is reloaded eventually losing its load. A chrome silicon spring will take a set the first time and maintain that load each time the magazine is reloaded.
Q: Will a chrome silicon spring rust?
A: Yes, initially it will develop a slight film which will not affect the function of the spring.

I'm in the minority I guess going with Chrome Silicon.

FWIW, I run them in a Colt 6920 and I am an actual "door kicker"
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From CProducts website:

Q: Chrome silicon spring versus 17/7 stainless?
A: Every spring will take a set when compressed. A 17/7 stainless spring in a 20 or 30 round magazine will take a set the first time it is compressed and will continue to do so each time the magazine is reloaded eventually losing its load. A chrome silicon spring will take a set the first time and maintain that load each time the magazine is reloaded.
Q: Will a chrome silicon spring rust?
A: Yes, initially it will develop a slight film which will not affect the function of the spring.

I'm in the minority I guess going with Chrome Silicon.

FWIW, I run them in a Colt 6920 and I am an actual "door kicker"

Either is good to go. I have both . The last batch I bought was CS. I simply took the mag apart and wiped with Breakfree and put back together. Funny thing I do the same with the SS also.   There ain't no bad choice between the two types. One offers one thing and the other offers something else. WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
First thing is rust! Why buy something thats going to promote rust? Then you have to take apart the mag to clean! The SS springs you don't to do any of that! No brainer there!
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I went CS on my last order. They last way longer than SS magazines. I would be weary of any magazine company that "pushed" SS springs onto you. They, likely, just want to sell you more springs in the future. With a little PM, CS will last your lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
How many people wear out more than one SS spring per mag in their lifetime?  Not many.  You must wear out AT LEAST 2 SS springs for CS to become cost effective.  This is an example of overkill for no good reson IMO.  For MOST people a SS spring with NO maintenance will last them a lifetime.  If you are not already needing CS because you wear out so many SS springs then you have NO need for a CS spring.  So if you are asking which you need IMO you dont need the CS because there would be no need to ask.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm still running mags that I used in 1975.  That said my last few have been CS.  I just use the heck out of them.  I have PMag, and CS Stainless with CS springs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had some CS springs for over 2 years now and they have yet to rust. They got nothing more than a light wipedown with Rem-oil before installation. Must be the CA climate.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]

I can't speak for anyone else but the SS and CS springs at C Products are priced the same.

Larry
C Products

So in your opinion what is best? SS or CS?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually got 2 more of Larry's SS Mags with CS springs yesterday along with two 25 round M-14 mags.  I admit to buying lots of stuff before the next election.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]
CS spring mags at brownells are also the same price as stainless. I chose CS springs because they supposedly don't lose their set or take a new set after the initial set. No, they aren't shiny anymore, but the little bit of surface rust hasn't had any effect on the way they work. I've been running them in the desert for close to two years with nothing more than the occasional cleaning.

For the record, I own only one mag with a stainless spring that I do not use due to it's tendency to not feed the last three rounds. I bought it from some gun store a long time ago, so no telling why it is that way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never given any thought whatsoever to the kind of springs I have in my mags.

M16 mags are disposable. If one stops working for whatever reason, pitch it and buy a new one for $10.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have never given any thought whatsoever to the kind of springs I have in my mags.

M16 mags are disposable. If one stops working for whatever reason, pitch it and buy a new one for $10.

Or replace the spring for $
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
CProducts charges the same for both, so cost is not an object. CS lasts longer, and my pistol mags get CS for replacements. Rust? The springs get dark, I would not call that "rust".

My magazines are disposable, but only if I know it is a mag problem. I do have some ISMI CS replacement mag springs, but those were purchased during the ban when "disposable" was not so nice. That said, the only mags I have thrown away were some steel off-brand that got significant rust. Not on the springs, but on the mags, inside and out.

Lee
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top