Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:45:28 AM EDT
I am a dinosaur in this forum and have a question. I don't intend for this to start some lengthy series of posts (as if it will).

Why all this emphasis on mag reliability?
Yes, good relaible magazines are a must. In my almost pre-historic world, when the military had to gear up to using mags (not clips) (M1,2,3 Carbine, the Thompson FAs, the M3 series "Grease Gun", M-14, etc.) we didn't get to select or test all of our mags before using.  We loaded them up, stuck them in our pouches and went to the range or front line.  When expended, they were left where we dumped it. New mag inserted, move on. Mag failed, dump it, new mag, move on.  In many cases, mags were pre-loaded by support/supply and were issued when drawing the basic load. We took them as they came.

Under these type conditions, it becomes clear why Mil-Specs became important and not just a sales pitch or a reason to jack up the price.

If any of us ever do have a SHTF episode as might occur after a disaster like Katrina or, more likely in my neck of the planet, a tornado, I don't think mag retrieval is going to be high on the list of things to do.

Having ENOUGH loaded mags on hand will be!

Now, I am not advocating leaving mags laying around the range after you are done with them, just trying to differentiate in having good quality mags in sufficient number so that one need not worry about where the next reload is coming from.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a bit sleepy.  What exactly is your point?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, having "enough" mags is as valid as having "good" mags.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hey, I almost had a snooze attack writing that.  The basic point is that I see frequent posts to test, retest, clean, re-clean, upgrade followers, upgrade followers again, etc. in the interest of magazine reliability.  I just question the amount of effort of doing that versus having a s**tload of quality USGI mags at hand.

I can see going through all the efforts if one is purchasing used/pre-owned mags where functioning may be a question.  Simple cleaning and once through should be sufficient.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]

I can see going through all the efforts if one is purchasing used/pre-owned mags where functioning may be a question.  Simple cleaning and once through should be sufficient.

A lot of the surplus USGI mags on the market need thorough inspection, cleaning and testing prior to use.  Many of those mags are being discarded because there are problems with them.  It would be ridiculous to trust your life on an unknown.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
BF-  The big differences I see between your military experience as outlined in your original post and most folks' personal defense gear are:

A)  Your gear was bought by someone else.  If someone wanted to purchase my mags for me- I'd take all I could get and schuck em after a single use rather than retrieving and packing empty  mags with me.

B)  Quality Control.  While your mags were from the lowest bidder, they were held to mil-spec standards which seemed to escape most commerically manufactured mags.  It's not that you have a magazine, it's whether that magazine was held to any particular standard.  It would seem to me that commercial mags use the wording, "Designed to fit Colt AR15 type rifles".  Rather than "Designed to WORK in Colt AR15 type rifles".  Even with designing them to fit a particular rifle, they missed the mark...

C) Personnel.  I'd love to have someone loading my new mags w/ new ammo and if ever a hiccup occured, dump the mag and move on knowing that someone would be by to resupply me.  (If all things go well)

D) Supply.  Near limitless as long as our military personnel needed mags Uncle Sam was obliged to send them.  It was never an issue if there was going to be mags, just who was going to win the contract to supply them and how long to deliver to the field.  One way or the other, they would be available.

As the supply can be disrupted for personal use, via a ban, it's just good practice to make sure the mags we're buying are top notch and will provide years of reliable service.  Since funding is pretty much a universal issue- to have all new mags loaded up for single use is just not feasible for most.  Since I load my mags & stripper clips, I can find the time to identify any issues and correct or replace the mags as required.

If I'm reading you right though, you point is spot on... We can get em' now, for a good price.  Might as well be snatching up lots of mags so when they're needed most- it's not an issue if the mag is in good shape, readily available or necessary to recover after use.  For the most part, I'm trying to do just that.  The biggest issue here is to purchase quality mags from the get-go.

Sly
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I almost had a snooze attack writing that.  The basic point is that I see frequent posts to test, retest, clean, re-clean, upgrade followers, upgrade followers again, etc. in the interest of magazine reliability.  I just question the amount of effort of doing that versus having a s**tload of quality USGI mags at hand.

Got it....thanks!     In all but an end of the world scenario, it would be highly unlikely that any AR15.COMer would engage in a protracted fire fight.  The more likely scenario is a brief exchange of several rounds.  Under those circumstances the gear you employ better work.  Most likely you'll be alone with no buddies covering your six.  Few times if any are you ever all alone in the service unless your unit's been shot to shit.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
This is how I view it....

I have around 30 DH Teflon Coated, MagPul enhanced followers, with Ranger Plate mags, that are loaded with 75 Gn. tap, function tested and, put in their respective pouches/ case compartments, with 75 Gn. TAP loads. These are the ones for SHTF.

I also have 40 of these mags in storage for when the market goes up, and I could use some extra $$$$.

I also have 20 or so USGI, Moly Coated range mags that I use, and alternate on a regular basis for training.

Regardless....they are all USGI Spec. That is what's critical IMHO. USGI Spec'd.

Tack
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top