Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:51:45 PM EDT
Is the bolt hold open supposed to work with a Beta C-mag in an AR-15?

I picked up a Beta mag a while back, and it will not trip the bolt hold open when empty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine doesn't. I guess because of the metal follower rounds in the tower. There isnt  a piece for the bolt catch to catch on. Look at the difference between the Beta, and a 20 or 30 round mag. With the bolt closed, put in an EMPTY 30 rd mag, and then pull the charging handle back slowly, and slowly let it go forward and watch the bolt catch grab on the mags follower. Do the same with the Beta, and you will see the difference. There is no follower for the bolt catch to grab.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I looked to see why it was not raising the bolt catch when I first noticed it happening.  It does appear to be designed that way.  I was just making sure.

Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to have a bolt hold open on one; something added to the round followers perhaps.  I'm certainly not an engineer though.

When were you in Gitmo?  I was with the SAR unit there from 1999-2001.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Were you ever stationed in Gitmo, or did you just think that would be a cool sig line?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
A little suggestion I heard, since the Beta C is NOT designed to hold the bolt open, put a snap cap in the mag as the first round.  That way after the last live round is fired the snap cap is hit instead of dry firing.  Also it will stop the bolt gouging the top beveled aluminum round in the mag.  A Beta dump in my 16 is piles of fun.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A little suggestion I heard, since the Beta C is NOT designed to hold the bolt open, put a snap cap in the mag as the first round.  That way after the last live round is fired the snap cap is hit instead of dry firing.  Also it will stop the bolt gouging the top beveled aluminum round in the mag.  A Beta dump in my 16 is piles of fun.

Scott

Or a tracer, that way you know for sure it's the last round and not a dud.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top