Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 6:26:06 PM EDT
I'm brand new to the AR-15.  Just built up my lower assembly today - went very well, thanks to the Build Yourself section in your forum and the advice of you guys.

Looking at magazines - Aside from the obvious pro for higher capacity magazines, are there some advantages to lower capacity magazines for handling, etc.?  Or things that your experience has shown?

Also, I'm assuming that you can load either .223 or 5.56mm in the same magazine.  I don't know why there would be an issue with it; but I thought I'd ask just in case.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes 223 and 5.56 use the same magazine. Stick with USGI mags in 20rd or 30rd capacity for reliability. The advantages of the 20rd are it allows you to get closer to the ground if you are prone shooting, also if you are shooting highpower competition a lot of competitors rest the mag on their left hand during the standing offhand string and the 20rd is the right height for this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
When I shoot at the range, it is from a bench and I have to sit down.  I prefer the 20 rounders for this position.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If your AR is NOT a "safe queen", and you actually carry the AR around daily, then a 20-rounder is much more friendly than a 30.  The 30 is too big -- hanging so low.  The 30 makes the AR ackward to carry.

Also, the 20 makes the overall wieght of the AR lighter compared to a 30.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the 30's because they, duh, hold 10 more rounds.  The 20 is better for shooting prone.

There are no differences in reliablility between the 20 and 30 round mags.

The only 40's are aftermarket, and the only good 40 (PMI/Federal Ordnance) has been long out of production.  The Sterling 40 rnd mag is rare and commands a high price.  I've only seen a few in many years of playing with AR-15's.

As far as " The 30 is too big -- hanging so low. The 30 makes the AR ackward to carry."  That has never bothered me about the 30.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I use both 20 and 30 round mags. The 30 round mags are the general do evertything mag.  I prefer 30 when shooting prone in the qualification as it makes a good make shift mono pod. This will not cause malfunctions. Thats a myth.  The 30's are nice if your using a bi pod on a precision rifle and I use a 20 in my butstock mag pouch it fits better than the 30's.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
like 20's better

most boxes of ammo come in 20's
shorter and easier to shoot with bench
alloy followers

but  have the 30's too
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
20's and 30's work great as long as they're USGI. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

40's are generally not reliable except for the few listed above. I decided to give one a try from sportsmans guide for $20 and it has worked pretty well except for a FTF or two while bump-firing. I WILL NOT rely on it with my life. It is for fun only and it fits the bill quite well.

Personally, I use my 30's all the time. I've even used them while hunting and trudging through heavy brush and haven't had a problem with them. I use the 20's a bit, but not as much as the 30's for some reason. They are reliable, but I just don't grab them first. Personal preference, I guess.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My 16s are range toys.  Wolf comes in 20 rd boxes.........I use 20 rd mags.  My SA came in 30 rd boxes............well, you know................

Sam
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
the only time I use a 40 rd mag is when standing and firing.otherwise it is just too damn long.and if you really gotta have a 40 bushmasters are very good.they are steel but good.I get no problems using them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Prefer 20s, that's what I used in Uncle Sam's Army, and I find them easier to deal with shooting from a bench with a Harris bipod.

But periodically use my 30s to make sure they're ready for SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
stick to USGI mags--check the EE

20rnders:
pros: great for prone shooting
cons: lowest rnd count that i would use

40rnders:
pros: more ammo
cons: lack of available, reliable mags

30rnders:
pros: most available, reliable mags available; cheaper that the others (usually); nice mix b/w capacity and compactness (sort of)
cons: not as great shooting prone, but usable

read this for additional info on ammo:
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top