Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:12:24 PM EDT
could anyone tell me which 30rd mags to stay away from.. and which 30rd mags are ok  to buy...i will be using them in a colt le6920....
        thanks
       vcatfish
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
get the known manufactures and STAY AWAY FROM USA MAGS, other then that colt, busy, labelle, parsons, d$h okay industries and more. those are some of the best mags on the market, i dont much prefer the plastic mags so stick with usgi unless you want hk!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with USGI mags only.  I personally prefer NHMTG mags but any USGI mags will work
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
usgi are good to go
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]
USGI Mags are great. I have also had good luck with Thermolds. But I recently gotsome HK mags and thats what I am using from now on.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay - Colt - NHMTG...........  "Okay" - Dokie!

Hotgun
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
USGI mags (see Troy's mag faq):

Colt (actually made by OKay)
Universal Industries (also made mags for Colt)
Simmonds Precision Products
Okay (who are also NHMTG)
Adventure Line, which became Parsons, which became Center
Labelle, which became General Stamping, which became D&H
Labelle also made mags for Bushmaster and DPMS
D.L.Sanchez
FN

The one USGI manufacturer to be leary of is Cooper Industries.  First examine the spot welds.  There should be a minimum of 6 spot welds on the front seam and 6 on the back seam.  Some Coopers only had 3 welds each seam.  Even if the body appears to be perfect, discard the spring and follower and replace with a new spring and green follower.  The reason why, in the '86-'87 period a gazillion Cooper mags were dumped on the surplus market, many NIW (New In Wrapper).  They had weak springs causing misfeeds in the last 5-7 rounds.  With good springs and followers these mags can sometimes be made to operate well.

In my personal experience, many Orlite mags have cracked feedlips, or they will soon crack.  Many are quite dirty, with sand embedded inside.  For a few dollars more you can buy a good new USGI mag.

Thermolds, sometimes OK, some will not fit in some mag wells.

Eagle and Ramline smoked transparent plastic mags... functioning problems, not reliable.

USA, not reliable, feelips not "boxed" at the corners and will spread with time and use.

Sterling 40 rnd, good mag, very rare and expensive.

PMI aka Federal Ordnance 40 rnd, reliable, good quality.  The older Federal Ordnance mags are not marked with name on the floorplate, so you may not know one when you see it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]

stick to USGI mags ONLY!

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]
there is a mag faq tacked at the top that should aid you in your decisions.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top