Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2005 8:58:29 PM EDT
I found a site that sells these mag clamps for the ar15 for 5.00 each. their made of steel. this is what they look like. ARE THEY WORTH BUYING? HOW DO YOU TIGHTEN THEM TO THE MAGAZINE?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The clamp is shaped like a W with the back being open.  You place the mags into the slots and place the back plate over them.  You screw the plate in until it's tight.  

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a mag clamp, its much too easy and faster to dump the mag and at the same time pull one out of a pouch or pocket for reload.  The clamp seems too clumsy and akward to use for quick reloads.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried the metal types, but I prefer the First Samco units.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The clamp is shaped like a W with the back being open.  You place the mags into the slots and place the back plate over them.  You screw the plate in until it's tight.  

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a mag clamp, its much too easy and faster to dump the mag and at the same time pull one out of a pouch or pocket for reload.  The clamp seems too clumsy and akward to use for quick reloads.

How could ejecting a mag while reaching into a pocket to get another mag and loading  it be faster than ejecting a coupled mag and loading the other that's right next to the magwell? You're eliminating the reach.  The physical act of loading the mag is something you'll have to do regardless.  You're just eliminating the step of having to reach for another mag in a pouch somewhere.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=697413

+1 Thats what I have and I like it better than any others I have tried
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How could ejecting a mag while reaching into a pocket to get another mag and loading  it be faster than ejecting a coupled mag and loading the other that's right next to the magwell? You're eliminating the reach.  The physical act of loading the mag is something you'll have to do regardless.  You're just eliminating the step of having to reach for another mag in a pouch somewhere.  

We messed with the mag couplers and jungle clipped mags for a couple of weeks.  We tried it while running stress courses and in simunitons training.  Dumping the mag was always faster.  You're defined motor skills decline under stress.  I found myself constantly looking down at my rifle to line up the mags in the couplers instead of at the threat when reloading. But do what works for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We messed with the mag couplers and jungle clipped mags for a couple of weeks.  We tried it while running stress courses and in simunitons training.  Dumping the mag was always faster.  You're defined motor skills decline under stress.  I found myself constantly looking down at my rifle to line up the mags in the couplers instead of at the threat when reloading. But do what works for you.

my experience at work and compitition is that the mag couplers speeded things up.  this is w/ mp5/40's at work and my AR at compititions.  we have the metal h&k clamp at work and for my AR i have a mag cinch.  it's spendier than the others mentioned, but i feel worth it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=697413

+1 Thats what I have and I like it better than any others I have tried

+2

mag cinch is nice too
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Use magcinch and they are alot faster to reload in prone than dumping and grabbing. To each their own.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I just tried my first samco's out and found the recoil shifts the top bullet forward causing me to have to push it back before swapping mags. One bullet even flew out while firing first mag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just tried my first samco's out and found the recoil shifts the top bullet forward causing me to have to push it back before swapping mags. One bullet even flew out while firing first mag.

i have had this same issue from time to time (different mags, and not all of them).  i keep telling myself to buy extra power springs since my springs are probably getting worn out.  my mags function fine, but i am curious if this would solve that problem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the mag cinch myself.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have had this same issue from time to time (different mags, and not all of them). i keep telling myself to buy extra power springs since my springs are probably getting worn out. my mags function fine, but i am curious if this would solve that problem.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  The mags I used are brand new T-65 steel mags with Magpul followers, they seem to have strong springs but I too wonder if wolfe extra power springs might help out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Just dont use them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
If the mag clips aren't your cup of tea you might consider the Redi-Mag.  It is faster than reloading from a pouch.  You can still have an additional mag attached to the rifle and it isn't bound to another mag by a device.  The feed lips and ammo are protected, too.  It's easy to update either the active or spare mag when you need to and tactical reloads are pretty simple.  The down side is that you have a small box attached to your rifle, but it has never bothered me.  The ability to keep a spare mag with the rifle even when my kit is somewhere else is worth having the tumor on the weapon.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top