Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 8:38:02 PM EDT
Just wondering if anybody has had any problem with galvonic corrosion (SP)between ar aluminum lower and the SA80 steel mags. I guess it would be ok as long as the finish on both pieces was intact and it would insulate againist chemical reaction. The nature of the beast being that the finish on the mag keeps on wearing off everytime it is seated or unseated from the mag well. Of course the ar also has a metal mag release, metal forward assist, and a metal bolt release.(to name a few) I have removed a metal bolt release from one of the rifles I have built, and it showed no signs of any chemical reaction. Maybe because I always dry my rifles asap after they have been out in the rain, and always keep the above mentioned friction points well lubed, is the reason I have never seen this problem.  Amos
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of that type of corrosion with steel to aluminum alloy contact,the AR has a lot of steel parts and dont forget the AR10 uses M14 mags,sig pistols are aluminum frame and use steel mags,I have heard you can get corrosion from using graphie on an AR and exposing it to salt water can cause a reaction but dont take that for the word of god although alot of people have said that about graphite,I live in the northeast so rain,cold and saltwater contact are my only threats to gaurd my rifle against.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Amos, you need an electrolyte (like salt water) for the electrons to flow to cause galvanic corrosion.  The finish on the weapon and on the mag itself block this effect through barrier protection; add in a coating of oil or preservative that displaces water and the protection is magnified.

Don't worry, just shoot, clean, oil, and repeat.

Noah
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top