Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 5:36:29 PM EDT
I just bought a couple of colt 20rd mags and have a few questions. I already have one USGI 20rd I got from a friend whose brother brought it home from the army. The 2 I just bought look exactly the same and have the same markings;
Pony) COLT AR-15
CAL. .223
COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG. CO.INC.
HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.
But they don't have the UI "Universal Industries" stamp on the side.

There doesn't seem to be any finish on them.
The one I already have has a kinda clear coat or something on it, thats hard to scratch or leave any marks, the 2 I just bought you can take something metal and just barely scrape it and it'll leave a mark.
All three have dull alloy followers.

Could any one tell me if these are pre or post ban?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
They may be stamped inside the magazine body.  UI is stamped on the front edge on the '60s versions.

Do they have aluminum or plastic followers.  Plactic are Colt's commercial mags.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Monte:

From your description and the presence of alloy followers, these are 60s to early 70s GI mags which of course make them preban.

The Universal Industries "UI" stamp may or may not be present depending on exactly when they were made.  The lack of the UI does not make them any less authentic.  Some of my Colt 20s have it, some don't.

Also do not discount the possibility that the Colt floorplates found their way onto Adventure Line mags while in military service.  During the time I was in, when stripping down my personal mags or the ones that came thru the shop (I was 2111) attention was not particularly paid as to which floorplate came from which mag.

Noah

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My bad, it does say 5.56, I copied and pasted the wrong one.
I just picked up another one today, it has the "CI" on it and has the coating on it that's hard to scratch.
Anyone know what this "coating" is?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Monty,

I'm curious about the coating too.  I bought some Colt 20 round mags that are supposed to be new but the coating (if there is one) on them looks clear.  Did I get gypped?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top