Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 7:50:41 PM EDT
Has anyone refinished any mags with the teflon finish from brownells?  How did it work?  Is it worth doing?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't done any AR mags, but did do some Walther P-38 magazines (and the internals) with Brownells Teflon/Moly coat.

Ideally, if you can sandblast them a bit, that would be good. But the big trick is to make sure that they are COMPLETELY de-greased.  Use something like "Gun Scrubber", or for a cheaper alternative go down to the auto shop and get some carb cleaner spray.

I used a heat gun to pre-heat the parts and dry the coat as I sprayed it on. 2-3 coats, bake in the oven per the directions and BAM! You have a slick durable finish.

I have some UZI mags on order for my 9MM conversion and I'm thinking about doing the same to those mags (if needed).

Joe

Sorry, forgot to answer your questions.

It worked good but is it worth doing? If your magazines already work fine and don't need re-finishing, I don't necessarily think it will make them work any better.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
akconvert, I have not done a AR but have done a few pistols with great results. Just follow the directions and you will love the result.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention, get some rubber gloves to handle them with, cause after de-greasing even the oil on your hands can screw it up.

I got some wire and hung my parts while I degreased, then sprayed them.

have fun,
Joe
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This was the first product I tried refurbishing mags with. Even though it is a nice product, you would be better served by using the Perma Silk G. Unless you are going to make the mags a custom color, stick with the original type finish for best results.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with VA-gunnut.  I refinished a couple USGI mags with Brownells teflon-moly finish, and found that the finish will eventually crack near the feedlips.  Permaslik is the better alternative.  It may not initially look as cool, but it looks better than flaking paint.  The Brownells finish is better reserved for "normal" gun parts.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used the perma silk and KG Kotes.  I like the Perma Silk (it is easier to use) but love the KG Kote (more involved) as dose my friends who are now lining up to have me coat a few mags for them.  Just my 2 cents.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top