Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 1:26:28 PM EDT
I found 30 orlite mags for extremely cheap. They are in good shape for being used, and I have basically refurbished all of them by cleaning, sanding and oiling them to perfection. I want to upgrade them more so by putting a green follower in each of them, as I have a chance to buy 30 green followers for only .99 a peice.

Anyone know if the green followers work properly in these mags?

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question,

I have one of those mags that will not function and I was going to try a green follower to see if it helped.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Take the Orlite apart and remove the follower and spring.  Take a USGI green follower and a soldering iron (needs to be a narrow one with a round tip).  Melt a groove in each side of the green follower in the same size and depth as the Orlite follower.  Let it cool and then trim the flashing away with an exacto knife.  Replace the spring with a Wollf Spring on the new custom USGI green follower.

It will work just fine other than it will not hold all 30 rounds!

Of course, this is a lot of work for a plastic mag., hence I would forget everything above.   ....and yes, I have done it to see if it works.  I am that stupid [;)].
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found 30 orlite mags for extremely cheap. They are in good shape for being used, and I have basically refurbished all of them by cleaning, sanding and oiling them to perfection.
View Quote

No need to oil them.  Plastic on plastic is more than slick enough.  The oil will pick up dirt and it can also do bad things to the ammo in the mag.  

If they are clean, they will work just fine.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an automotive,methyl compressed, silicon based lubricant on magazines that does not leave a liquid residue and does not absorb dust.

It's more like coating the inside of the mag with teflon, then spraying oil inside. Because the methyl will evaporate leaving just the silicon particles.

It works extremely well, and helps quite a bit. The magazines are noticably smoother feeding when silicone lubricated.

I recommend it on military surplus orlites, since the sand and dust they collected in use, scratches the hell of of where the follower makes contact with the inside of the mag, and makes it rough.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top