Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2002 7:58:50 PM EDT
I picked up seven Colt 30rd magazines from a friend of mine some time ago, but they are a little different then most mags you see. I was wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about them.

The floorplates are marked:

COLT AR-15
CAL. 5.56 MM
COLT’S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. INC.
HARTFORD, CONN U.S.A.

What is really different about them is:

The magazines are a kind of silvery-gray color like the older 20rd mags, not a flat gray color like most 30 rd mags.

The right sides of the magazines have what appears to be a part number stamped into them. The number is 62667.

The followers are a smooth & shiny dark green color and also appear to have a part number stenciled on them in white paint. The number is 62665A.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind. I should have read the magazine FAQ's first. It had a descrpition of these mags in there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Then you now know that Colt's never made any magazines and paying extra for the floor plate isn't going to get you anything......

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It might.  These mags are the FIRST 30 round mags issued so they are somewhat sought out by collectors.  In practical terms they are no diffrent than any other USGI 30 but to some people they are worth more.  Colts DO fetch more in price as probably less than .001% of mag buyers know Colt didn't make them. Even if they did know they would probably still pay more for that "Colt" stamped on the floor plate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If they're the original 1960s 30 round magazines for the XM177E2 don't trust 'em, the folowers will hang up and just stop moving leaving the rifle full of loose cartridges.  It's the design.  

Save 'em for the collectors at eBay.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top