Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2002 5:02:32 AM EDT
A buddy of mine has an Olympic Arms A-2 and bought some of the Colt 30rd replacement mags for it and is having trouble with them binding excessively.  Is there a specific type of 30rd mag that fits a little better?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
He bought the Colt 30rd replacement mags from CDNN.  The bottom of the floorplate says "Colt AR-15  Made in USA" and the label on the wrapper says "Colt AR-15 pre-ban replacement mag".  He did get a 10rd with the rifle and it goes in and comes out OK, but definitely doesn't drop free.  The Colt 30rd mags go in and come out very tight.  After looking a little closer, he said that it almost appears as if they're dragging on the front of the trigger guard.  I have a Colt M4 and they go in mine fine and the spring pushes them out.  I gave him one of my GI mags and one of my Orlite mags and the GI goes in fine and the spring pushes them out.  The Orlite will not lock in place like it does on my Colt.  Does Olympic make their own mags, or do they buy them from an after-market supplier?  Looks like he's going to have to invest in GI mags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, he bought the $10.00 "cheapies".  I told him that he needs to get off his wallet and buy the USGI's.  He's going to return the replacements and buy the GI mags.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI I have seen problems with trigger guards binding the magazines (I've heard of this issue several times with OLYs).  Flip the trigger guard down (press the dentent on the side near the magwell and rotate it to the 'winter' position).  Now if the mags drop & insert with no problems then look at the trigger guard and check for excess plastic (flash).

In any event get real USGIs not the cheap crap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
He did try what you suggested about putting the trigger guard in the winter position and said it was a little better, but not much (with the "cheapie" mags).  He has however ordered some USGI mags and that should definitely take care of his problem.  Thanks to all for you help and suggestions!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now if the mags drop & insert with no problems then look at the trigger guard and check for excess plastic (flash).

The current Oly trigger guards are metal - at least based upon my recently touching them.  :-)  Other companies (Bushmaster, etc.) use platic ones.

In my general opinion, plastic or metal makes no difference for the trigger guard.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top