Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2018 7:59:04 PM EDT
Did some shooting this weekend, and I wasn't pleased at all with the accuracy I was getting with wolf gold. The rifle was a BCM 14.5 ELW with a sandman K, and the optic was a burris xtr2 1-8. I was able to shoot roughly MOA with some 69gr match ammo, but was getting around a 5-6" vertical spread with the wolf gold. It could have been me, but I'm not sure, since I was able to shoot the other ammo just fine.

Any ideas? Does my rifle just not like this ammo?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is the 14.5" barrel isn't stabilizing the bullet to meet your expected accuracy.
What's the accuracy from a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoots around 1 3/4 MOA from my 16" Windham - no complaints here...........

Bird
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is the 14.5" barrel isn't stabilizing the bullet to meet your expected accuracy.
What's the accuracy from a 16" barrel?
View Quote
That may be it, but that's odd. I don't have a 16" to test it, but I may be building an upper in the future of that length. I'll toss the 1-8 on the 11.5" to see what I can do with that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably isn't 14.5" v. 16" barrel.  I have shot WG through a 10.5" at 100 yards and shot around 3" groups.

Was week, I shot some WG in a 14.5" lightweight BCM and five shots went into just under 2".  Have shot WG in several PSA 16" uppers and all were under 3" at 100 yards.  All these were using various red dot sights.

More likely either your barrel doesn't like the ammo or you were having a bad day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How does it shoot without the can?

My Crusader doesn't like 55gr anything. 1:7 14.5 R2 pinned and welded with a Sparc red dot.
2-3 inch groups are normal with 55gr anything with that one resting the rail or shooting prone.

It likes heavier pills though! 69 and 77gr will do half inch to 7/8th inch cold with flyers hot totaling 1 1/2.
Try armscor 62gr fmjbt. Not 855/SS109.

Armscor 62gr fmjbt seems to do inch and 1/4- inch and 1/2 groups consistently but leaves what looks like green car battery fuzz in the fire control group and brake. And it's a bitch to clean off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought heavy on the Wolf Gold 55gr because of the reviews it got, only to find out that my 1:8 S&W MP15T and 1:8 PWS Mk116 really don't like it, and I got patterns roughly equal to what you're experiencing, ~5-6+inches.  However, these rifles shoot PMC XP193 under 2 inches.

The only gun that shoots Wolf Gold into what I consider "acceptable" groups for bulk .223/5.56 is my Daniel Defense 1:7 14.5" M4A1.

Just goes to show how every barrel is different, and has a preference for what it likes, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did some shooting this weekend, and I wasn't pleased at all with the accuracy I was getting with wolf gold. The rifle was a BCM 14.5 ELW with a sandman K, and the optic was a burris xtr2 1-8. I was able to shoot roughly MOA with some 69gr match ammo, but was getting around a 5-6" vertical spread with the wolf gold. It could have been me, but I'm not sure, since I was able to shoot the other ammo just fine.

Any ideas? Does my rifle just not like this ammo?
View Quote
If its a vertical string that suggests shooter error to me.

Of course, if accuracy suddenly changed, checking all the optic attachments for tightness is a good idea, maybe even swap optics and confirm something isn't loose in the scope.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If its a vertical string that suggests shooter error to me.

Of course, if accuracy suddenly changed, checking all the optic attachments for tightness is a good idea, maybe even swap optics and confirm something isn't loose in the scope.
View Quote
I’m thinking it may have been user error.

I was shooting the WG ammo first, then I switched to the match grade stuff, so that takes a loose optic mount out of the equation.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf Gold 55 gr +/- 2-3 moa out of my guns, 16", 18" and 20", good enough for practice stuff.  Now vertical stringing is a separate issue.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My S&W M&P 16" 1:9 gets sub 1.5 MOA with Wolf gold.

My 10.5" SBR FN BBL 1:7 gets 3 MOA with wolf gold.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Vertical stringing usually means that the shooter is moving behind the stock
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know what to say to ya but I get 1.5 groups at 50 yards and around 2 at 100
Even when I use my red dot I get around 3 at 50 yards
That's with my BCM 14.5
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Accuracy is the result of a lot of factors including accuracy. If all of these are controlled, and you’re shooting from a known quality/precision setup, I’d expect Wolf Gold to shoot about or maybe a hair under 2 MOA. Obviously this increases the further you get away from a precision setup.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
my BCM barrel is probably the least accurate barrel i have ever owned. i would never buy another one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want itty bitty groups, you should get better ammo. You should also find the ammo your barrel likes and stick with it.
WG is good ammo. It even is very good for some folks. It is also pretty good on the terminal end.
For the price point is is fine and within AR spec. Most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what was your shooting setup?  was the barrel itself touching a rest?
View Quote
BCM 14.5 with KMR on a bipod with rear bag, prone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want itty bitty groups, you should get better ammo. You should also find the ammo your barrel likes and stick with it.
WG is good ammo. It even is very good for some folks. It is also pretty good on the terminal end.
For the price point is is fine and within AR spec. Most of the time.
View Quote
If you read the OP, I did also shoot better ammo, and shot about MOA with it out of this gun. My question pertained to the accuracy using WG ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Vertical stringing usually means that the shooter is moving behind the stock
View Quote
I know that. I've got a decent amount of time behind precision rifles and can shoot those well. After the mag of WG ammo, I ran through a mag of 69gr Match Ammo and shot a few MOA(ish) groups, without really trying. It could have been me, it could have been the ammo, I'm trying to narrow down the variables.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you read the OP, I did also shoot better ammo, and shot about MOA with it out of this gun. My question pertained to the accuracy using WG ammo.
View Quote
WG has been ~1 inch art 100 yards for me. Three very different rifles. A1 1970's model (1 in 12). A newer M&P (1 in 9)and a PSA Frenaken (1 in 8). I can't shoot any better than the rifles. In the flip side, AE is 3-4 inch groups out of the A1 and the Franken, some better out of the M&P.
I read the OP, it sounded like another whine on the WG, that comes often around here. If that wasn't the intent, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Wolf Gold is a reliable plinking or SHTF round. For the price, its a good bang for the buck. Out of my SPR hbar on a bench with rear support, it'll shoot around 2" at 100. By way of comparison, same gun shoots Hornady American Gunner 55gr at .75".
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top