Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:19:34 PM EDT
I have a good bit of Hornady TAP FPD 75 grain in .223.  I went to order more and saw it was discontinued.

The Hornady Black 75 grain seems similar but doesn't have the nickel brass.

Anyone compare the two rounds?  Hornady Black is less expensive but seems to be more of a budget round compared to the TAP round.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot some of the Black 62 grain.  Decent stuff but nothing spectacular IMO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Same velocity, same bullet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hornady doesn't have much technical info on the Black Line on it's site. It doesn't mention anything about flash suppressed powder that the TAP FPD uses. Seems more economy focused than FPD. Best route would be to send Hornady an e-mail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i bought some hornady black in that load and it printed exactly the same as my older TAP FDP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI - I sent an Email to Hornady with question (in black), answers in blue:

Questions about the “5.56 NATO 75 Grain Interlock HD SBR Soft Point Hornady Black Ammo – 81296”:

1)     Do you have any ballistic data for when this round is used in a 16-inch barrel? No, this bullet/powder configuration was designed specifically for Short Barreled Rifles.

2)     If used in an AR-15 with a 16-inch barrel, will the action cycle properly (assume a non-adjustable gas block with proper alignment between the gas block gas hole and the barrel gas hole) ? Not recommended, since this bullet/powder configuration was designed for 10.5 – 11.5” rifles.

3)     Do you have any ballistic data for when this round is used in a 7.5-inch barrel ? This has been function tested in 7.5” barrels to a limited degree, however we do not have any hard data to publish.  As with any rifle (SBR or otherwise), the penetration depths increase as the velocity decreases, since it takes longer for the bullet to initiate expansion.

4)     If used in an AR-15 with a 7.5-inch barrel, will the action cycle properly (assume a non-adjustable gas block with proper alignment between the gas block gas hole and the barrel gas hole) ?  This is an unknown – unlike an M-4, where there is an actual specification to build the rifle around, there aren’t any when it comes to SBR’s and AR-10’s.  Each company adjust their gas system accordingly during their design process, so depending upon the size of their gas port, the location of the gas port, length, etc., it’s impossible to say, which is why we primarily focused on 10.5” – 11.5” rifles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Questions about the “5.56 NATO 75 Grain Interlock HD SBR Soft Point Hornady Black Ammo – 81296”:

2)     If used in an AR-15 with a 16-inch barrel, will the action cycle properly (assume a non-adjustable gas block with proper alignment between the gas block gas hole and the barrel gas hole) ? Not recommended, since this bullet/powder configuration was designed for 10.5 – 11.5” rifles.

[/color]
View Quote
good job Hornady!  make more ammo that is designed for a specific configuration and dont make that detail obviously clear! just like the super performance stuff....

i was shooting it thru a LWRC 18" piston upper and that upper never had a problem with SP stuff either.

so that means a fast burning power to get it going in that short barrel?

thanks for posting that info from them,
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1)     Do you have any ballistic data for when this round is used in a 16-inch barrel? No, this bullet/powder configuration was designed specifically for Short Barreled Rifles.

3)     Do you have any ballistic data for when this round is used in a 7.5-inch barrel ? This has been function tested in 7.5” barrels to a limited degree, however we do not have any hard data to publish.  As with any rifle (SBR or otherwise), the penetration depths increase as the velocity decreases, since it takes longer for the bullet to initiate expansion.

4)     If used in an AR-15 with a 7.5-inch barrel, will the action cycle properly (assume a non-adjustable gas block with proper alignment between the gas block gas hole and the barrel gas hole) ?  This is an unknown – unlike an M-4, where there is an actual specification to build the rifle around, there aren’t any when it comes to SBR’s and AR-10’s.  Each company adjust their gas system accordingly during their design process, so depending upon the size of their gas port, the location of the gas port, length, etc., it’s impossible to say, which is why we primarily focused on 10.5” – 11.5” rifles.
View Quote
16" and 7.5" test from Rifleshooter- black sbr 16 &7.5
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
umungus1122:
Thank you for the link. This is exactly the data I was looking for.
Funny how Hornady did not have, or was not aware of, this info
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
umungus1122:
Thank you for the link. This is exactly the data I was looking for.
Funny how Hornady did not have, or was not aware of, this info
View Quote
What part of 5.56 NATO 75 Grain Interlock HD SBR was confusing to you?
ETA: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/5.56-nato-75-gr-interlock-hd-sbr-black#!/
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top