Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 10:24:15 PM EDT
So I was looking at Midway USA for a few things and ran across "Black Hills 125gr TMK" in the 300 Whisper category. They do not list it on their website (just the 125gr SMK, which I've yet to find online). Midway has it listed as 2,200 fps (see below). Thoughts on this? The Firearms Blog had a post that the 77gr TMK reliably expanded down to 1,900 fps ... anyone have experience with the 125gr and minimum expansion velocity?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/396289/black-hills-ammunition-300-whisper-125-grain-sierra-tipped-matchking-box-of-20
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What's your primary purpose for the gun your using? Home defense= RIP ammo. Subsonic. Expensive as tits, UBER "expansion"
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm just trying to find more information out about the TMK ammo, and Black Hills is so far the only one to use it that I've seen use it (otherwise it is all Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, and the SMK).
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
We have handloaded the 125tmk's and many deer died to it this last season. We shot it into some homemade ballistic gel and it was gnarly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have handloaded the 125tmk's and many deer died to it this last season. We shot it into some homemade ballistic gel and it was gnarly.
View Quote

Just curious was it 300blk or .308 win that you had loaded? If it was 300 blk what barrel length? I'm hoping this Black Hills load will be accurate and nicely suited for a general purpose round (I'm looking for more in soft tissue than barrier performance, in 125gr).
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
:
Quoted:
So I was looking at Midway USA for a few things and ran across "Black Hills 125gr TMK" in the 300 Whisper category. They do not list it on their website (just the 125gr SMK, which I've yet to find online). Midway has it listed as 2,200 fps (see below). Thoughts on this? The Firearms Blog had a post that the 77gr TMK reliably expanded down to 1,900 fps ... anyone have experience with the 125gr and minimum expansion velocity?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/396289/black-hills-ammunition-300-whisper-125-grain-sierra-tipped-matchking-box-of-20
View Quote

OP,
    Here is BHA's gel shot tests on their new .300 Whisper/300 BLACKOUT COMPATIBLE 125GR. TMK load. A number of us have been using the expanding/fragmenting 125GR. TMK bullet in 300BLK with great success over the past year. Looks like BHA/Jeff Hoffman also took notice of it. HTH

300 Whisper/300BLK 125GR. TMK load from a 16" barrel:

300 Whisper/300BLK 125GR. TMK load from a 7.5" barrel:

Should be able to get chrono readings on a 9" AAC and a 16" RARR at a hunt/shoot towards the end of the month. Will also put a BHA 125GR. TMK into a large boar at the first opportunity.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Great to see a gel test on this bullet in BLK. Nice short neck with good penetration. I wonder what the minimum expansion velocity is?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just curious was it 300blk or .308 win that you had loaded? If it was 300 blk what barrel length? I'm hoping this Black Hills load will be accurate and nicely suited for a general purpose round (I'm looking for more in soft tissue than barrier performance, in 125gr).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry just saw this. 10.5" ar  blackout and a 16" rem 700 blackout

Had 2020 fps out of the ar and 2250 out of the rem with slight pressure signs on the brass in the rem.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had 2020 fps out of the ar and 2250 out of the rem with slight pressure signs on the brass in the rem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to be testing velocity and accuracy of the BH 125gr TMK (and about 12 other loads) out of an 8" CMMG barrel coming up here and a 10.5" Noveske later this year or early next year once I get that gun built. Nice to see your numbers for comparison.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
My tests are done and I averaged 1950fps with just over 1.5 MOA @ 100yds out of an 8" barrel. Very nice load! Only group that was better for me was the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX and that wasn't by too much.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top