Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:40:10 PM EDT
I bought a couple of these yellow boxes the other day. The price was pretty good so I figured they were worth a try. Upon inspecting them prior to loading them into my magazines, I noticed the bullets being deeply set. The cannelure(sp?) was barely visible. When compared to some PMC and some Federal, the UMC bullets are noticebly shorter. Is this acceptable or am I asking for a kaboom
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i bought a few boxes of umc a while back and noticed a dents in quite a few shells. i will never purchase again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody else??
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anybody else??

I wouldn't shoot those....the cannalure is used as a sort of depth guage....the lower the bullet is set in the cannalure, the more likely it is to explode when fired......you better send those to me for proper disposal!!

They are fine....for one UMC is very underpowered and if you set the bullet as deep as you could before the neck was unable to even hold the bullet your gun still would 'nt "kaboom"

as for seating bullets to deep and causing pressure issues....this is a problem more prone to affect pistol ammo more so than rifle ammo.....Just FYI
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody else??

I wouldn't shoot those....the cannalure is used as a sort of depth guage....the lower the bullet is set in the cannalure, the more likely it is to explode when fired......you better send those to me for proper disposal!!

They are fine....for one UMC is very underpowered and if you set the bullet as deep as you could before the neck was unable to even hold the bullet your gun still would 'nt "kaboom"

as for seating bullets to deep and causing pressure issues....this is a problem more prone to affect pistol ammo more so than rifle ammo.....Just FYI

Thanks for the info, I think I'll take my chances and let a few off

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure the bullets have case neck tension.  There were complaints about bullets being loose in the case with UMC.  If you can't move the bullet with finger tension, you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Very good, thanks to all. I will more than likely shoot more than my fair share ths weekend
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, what's happening in the AR-15 ammo world? First the PRVI M193 ammo is falling apart as per a recent post, and now the UMC 223 (which was never great to start with) is being made by blind people that can't seat bullets at consistent depths in the cartridge cases. Glad I sold off my UMC ammo stash last year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Man, what's happening in the AR-15 ammo world? First the PRVI M193 ammo is falling apart as per a recent post, and now the UMC 223 (which was never great to start with) is being made by blind people that can't seat bullets at consistent depths in the cartridge cases. Glad I sold off my UMC ammo stash last year.

Massive demand is probably the culprit. In the industry, everyone's rushing to get as much product out as fast as possible. It's understandable that quality will go down in their rush.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
UMC's quality went to shit LONG before the ammo panic!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top