Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 12:00:27 PM EDT
I am about to size a dehumidifier for my new basement, and what target humidity is best for storing firearms and ammunition?

Don't tell me 0% RH- I sure as hell am not spending any time in a 0% humidity environment!  If I shoot for the low end of the normal 30% to 60% comfort range, is that suitable for long-term storage?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot for 30% in the summer- winter takes care of itself.  Safe has dri-rod plus re-chargeable color indicating dessicant stuffed in an old dress sock hanging in it.  dessicant.  And being the basement I recommend storing in ammo cans stacked on 2X4's off the floor.  Of course, color indicating dessicant in those as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
About 90% of the ammo is in cans, and off the floor.  Some will be out, as well as reloading gear, and some of the firearms will be in open racks instead of the safes  The general thoughts I got elsewhere as well were 30% or so should be just fine.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
A light coat of CLP on the weapons in that environment should leave you no worries whatsoever with very little maintenance.  Mine will fluctuate between 30 up to 40 sometimes.   I like the fact my GE dehumidifier has the digital count on the top so I know what's going on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
...for you in Virginia, I'd say 30-60% rel humid was o.k.

only trouble with the dehumidifiers (even the "energy efficient" ones) is that basically they operate like a small window a/c unit and really chew up the kw and $$$.

but, when I was in a real humid environment, I ran my 24/7 to get even 60%!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top