Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 7:24:20 PM EDT
I am just curious about the impact of velocity on a target.
Pick up some info on Brassfetcher that I would like to elaborate for my own education/culture. Please don't flame me, I just try to understand.

From Brassfetcher:
.22 Magnum
Winchester 40gr JHP (part #X22MH)
penetrated to 13.5" (corrected)
expanded to 0.311
From Winchester web site: Muzzle vel 1910
Recovered weight was 29.1gr

From Brassfetcher:
Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55gr
penetrated to 14.0"
expanded to 0.451

From Federal ATK web site:
Federal L.E 223T1
penetrated to 14.75
expanded to 0.469
vel 2705

and i can put more but you should get the topo. Now, even if these data are not reliable at 100% and some are SP while there is JHP.  From what i can see, all of these rounds perform well and penetrated more than the required 12". They also expand and/or frag to a certain point.

Does it make the .22 Winchester X22MH a good SD round? I mean not bad at all for a simple .22

So here is my question or main concern in the problem: What is the impact of velocity on target? will that velocity influence the results?, how? Energy transfer? Because it seems to me the only main difference.

I know the .22 magnum is not the best thing since the sliced bread, otherwise it would have been use by the army's, I also not pretend the .22 is a good SD round. I just try to understand.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I started to answer, but realized I don't know enough to do so.  You ask a good question.  Did you take a look at the Ammo Oracle?  Some info should be there to answer your question.

Generally, the heavier the bullet and greater the velocity for SD purposes the better.  

www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, thanks!
Much appreciated!

So from my understanding, the gelatin media is a good way to test ballistic (ie: expansion, frag,penetration) but there is few things that it doesn't show.

It's just a tool that is part of the equation.

Like a single tractor and a tractor + trailer with full load. Both will make damage in an accident but obviously, one will make more...

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top