Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:00:28 PM EDT
Found some of this online for $179/1000.  Says it is polymer coated and used a soft point 55gr bullet.  I have shot the black box wolf before but don't have any experience with the Military Classic.  Any opinions would be aprreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
At that price....these days...buy it.  If you dont like it, sell what's left for what you paid.

Go back a day or two in this forum, you'll find plenty of Wolf MC discussions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the differance in the classic one?Is it better than the other black box stuff?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I found Wolf® .223 55 Gr. FMJBT 1,000 rds. black box for $189
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought 3 boxes of the military classic a couple of weeks ago from Gander Mtn. and it wouldn't cycle my Bushmaster M4.  My rifle currently has about 300 rounds through it.  Ran some of my own loads and stuff I got from the CMP store through it before  and after the Wolf and my rifle never had a single problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It is fine ammo, nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Can someone tell me because I just havn't had a straight answer yet, what id the difference between the MC and regular back box?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me because I just havn't had a straight answer yet, what id the difference between the MC and regular back box?

From what I've read on different sites, the wolf performance (black box) ammo has polymer coated cases and a lead and copper bullet.  The Wolf military classic has a polymer coated case on .223 ammo only, the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo is lacquer coated.  The bullets used in the military classic are bi-metal, they have a lead core, soft steel shell with a copper jacket, like the Portugese 7.62 ammo.  From what I was told, they make a "shell" out of soft steel, then fill it with lead, then copper jacket the bullet.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted this a few days ago.

Wolf MC = Ulyanovsk Plant, Berdan Primer, Bi-Metal (Steel/Lead) Copper Washed/Plated, Thin Poly Coat (Almost none)

Wolf (Black Box) Polyformance = Tula Plant, Boxer Primer, Bi-Metal (Steel/Lead) Copper Washed/Plated, Thick(er) Poly Coat

So they are pretty much the same now.  Visually MC looks light grey, Black Box looks dark grey.  I have heard Uly was hotter, but I haven't read where anyone chrono'd Tula and Uly 223 out of the same gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought 1k a while back from Sportsman's Warehouse and returned it to Wolf later on.  I had to trow away about 2-3 rounds from each box from excessive rust.  A few boxes were completely rusted out.  Their customer service was great,  but I won't buy their ammo again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've read on different sites, the wolf performance (black box) ammo has polymer coated cases and a lead and copper bullet.  The Wolf military classic has a polymer coated case on .223 ammo only, the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo is lacquer coated.  The bullets used in the military classic are bi-metal, they have a lead core, soft steel shell with a copper jacket, like the Portugese 7.62 ammo.  From what I was told, they make a "shell" out of soft steel, then fill it with lead, then copper jacket the bullet.  

Slight correction: all new MC is poly coated now; both .223 and 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought 1k a while back from Sportsman's Warehouse and returned it to Wolf later on.  I had to trow away about 2-3 rounds from each box from excessive rust.  A few boxes were completely rusted out.  Their customer service was great,  but I won't buy their ammo again.

same rust experience here, fresh out of the wrapper

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Upon a very quick inspection of a few boxes of the Military Classic I got from Collector Rifle & Ammo, I noticed no rust.  Poly coat does appear thinner than black box.  I store in ammo cans w/ desiccant, so should be ok.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#13]
ETA: I just cut it open, It's got a thick steel jacket and a lead core.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty sure it's not steel core.  It's a Steel shell over lead, then copper washed.  Both Black Box and MC are this way now.  Do a search, someone had pictures of a bullet cut apart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Correct... steel jacket with a copper wash or copper over-coat.  Lead core.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Upon a very quick inspection of a few boxes of the Military Classic I got from Collector Rifle & Ammo, I noticed no rust.  Poly coat does appear thinner than black box.  I store in ammo cans w/ desiccant, so should be ok.

+1, I compared examples of both versions that I have and the color of the polymer looks slightly lighter on the classic, but it doesn't look to be thinner.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you find it online?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top