Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
Is this good ammo for the range?  personal/home defense?  I bought 800 rounds from Sportmans for $49.95 per box of 200 rds.  Just want to make sure its quality stuff.  I dont see anyone talking on the forums about it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the Forum:

This is very accurate ammo intended for varmints or plinking and will not provide enough penetration for self defense!  It's very reliable and fun stuff to shoot.  For self defense, buy a few boxes from a manufacture who loads the Hornady 75-gr. bullet and practice with the 50-gr. stuff on paper or varmints.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought the same ammo at S.W. No issues. Good for ranges that don't allow FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is this good ammo for the range?  personal/home defense?  I bought 800 rounds from Sportmans for $49.95 per box of 200 rds.  Just want to make sure its quality stuff.  I dont see anyone talking on the forums about it.  Thanks.

When you guy ammo there are a few factors to include.
1. Cost
2. No. of Rounds
3. Tax (If applicable)
4. Shipping (Always varies according to location)

IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET ALL THAT INFO FIRST AND THEN:
Run that into this formula (I have a little Excel spreadsheet that does it for me)

Cost + Shipping + Tax / No. of Rounds = PRICE PER ROUND

So for you it would be:
1. Cost = $199.80
2. No. of Rounds = 800
3. Tax = Fill this in (assuming 5% $10.00)
4. Shipping = $18.00 (Just a number based on... say 25 lbs shipping)

199.80 + 10.00 + 18.00 / 800 = 0.2847  =>  So you are paying 28 cents a round.

Now if you're buying within your state you pay tax, if it's from out of state there is no tax but shipping can be a little higher.

The internet can be confusing at times. Most web sites will have the Price, No. of Rounds and if you go through their Web Cart they will Estimate your Shipping Costs. You probably know the tax percent in your state and that is all you will need. Now if you use this formula you can get an accurate value of what you paid for.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Walmarts and Sportsman Warehouse normally carry these 200 round bulk packs from Federal, which are further broken down to 10 individual boxes of 20.  While Rocket029 probably didn't pay any shipping, his price per round is still almost 28 cents or $5.60 +/- per box after sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
i just bought this stuff from walmart $52.78/200rd and went shooting today to compare ammo to see which I want to stock up on. It outshot the 5.56 white box winchester FMJ 62gr, and the Remington UMC 55gr FMJ ammo also from walmart.  My best group today was 5 rounds in one square inch with no flouters @100yrds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bought the same ammo at S.W. No issues. Good for ranges that don't allow FMJ.

Eagle Point?  Are there any others around?  That annoying rule has kept me from checking that place out...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top