Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 6:15:11 PM EDT
I just wanted something cleared up.  What is the difference between an OTM round like the 75 GR TAP and the 77 GR MK262 Mod 1 from Black Hills?  I spoke with someone from Blackhills and they told me that the JHP rounds don't act like regular Hollow-point rounds (meaning that they don't mushroom out).  That totally confused me because I thought that is exactly what they were designed to do.  The reason I am asking this is because I am in Law Enforcement and I want a round that is super accurate and will do the job.  So basically my questions are?

1.  Do the Hornady 75 GR TAP rounds mushroom out like 9mm hollowpoint rounds?
2.  Does Match ammo like the 77 Sierra Match make a good Law Enforcement Round?  What happens when they hit flesh?  Do they act like FMJ rounds or do they Mushroom out or something else?
3.  Is the 75 GR TAP the best round for LE?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  Really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s my understanding that these hollowpoints don’t mushroom, they fragment.

Because of the way most rifle bullets are shaped (heavy end to the rear) they tend to flip 180 degrees when they hit flesh. If the jacket is light enough and the velocity is high enough the bullet will break up when it gets to about 90 degrees.

The bullets you mention supposedly fragment at a lower velocity than the standard 55 grain FMJ bullet. Of course they are heavier and have a lower muzzle velocity (in similar pressure cartridges) than the 55 grain round, but they still fragment at a greater distance than the 55 grain 5.56mm (M193) round.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just wanted something cleared up....  

www.ammo-oracle.com

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
call Hornady and order a case of 5.56 75gr TAP
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just wanted something cleared up.  What is the difference between an OTM round like the 75 GR TAP and the 77 GR MK262 Mod 1 from Black Hills?  I spoke with someone from Blackhills and they told me that the JHP rounds don't act like regular Hollow-point rounds (meaning that they don't mushroom out).  That totally confused me because I thought that is exactly what they were designed to do.  The reason I am asking this is because I am in Law Enforcement and I want a round that is super accurate and will do the job.  So basically my questions are?

1.  Do the Hornady 75 GR TAP rounds mushroom out like 9mm hollowpoint rounds?
2.  Does Match ammo like the 77 Sierra Match make a good Law Enforcement Round?  What happens when they hit flesh?  Do they act like FMJ rounds or do they Mushroom out or something else?
3.  Is the 75 GR TAP the best round for LE?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  Really appreciate it.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/556performance.msnw

Here's part of the article:

"In .223, the 75 gr TAP is one of the best performing bullets in this caliber, as demonstrated in the lab, as well as confirmed by multiple law enforcement and military shooting incidents. The .223 40 gr and 60 gr TAP bullets seem to offer inadequate penetration. [This round will work out of a 1:9 twist barrel, but is probably better out of a 1:7 twist.]"

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
call Hornady and order a case of 5.56 75gr TAP

That is what I was shooting, the 5.56 version from Hornady directly.  I paid $100 for 200 rounds.  I just ordered 500 rounds of the HSM rounds which are loaded with the 75 GR TAP round.  I paid $200 for 500 rounds.  I don't know if they are .223 or 5.56, but they are definitely less expensive.  I'll just have to see if they are as accurate.  

I checked out the Ammo-Oracle site a while back and it was there that I got the impression that the HP rounds mushroomed out.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stick with the 5.56 TAP.  Have you tried any of the 75gr practice ammo that Hornady sells?  You can't beat the price and that would keep your overall costs down by practicing with that and then using the 5.56 TAP for your duty load.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The BlackHills 75gr. heavy match hollow is the same thing as the .223 Hornady Tap 75, except is loaded a little hotter.  That's what I use, cause you can't hardly find the Hornady anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a good read for you on ballistics of the Hornady TAP 75
www.btammolabs.com/tests/5.htm
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow.  Amazing info from bith sites.  I will have to check out the Hornady practice rounds.  Do you know the price off hand and if they are reloads?  Also, has anyone heard if the HSM rounds are any good?  At least I am on the right track with the Hornady 75 GR TAP.  It looks like they are great bullets and compare very well to the MK 262 Mod 1.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I will have to check out the Hornady practice rounds.  Do you know the price off hand and if they are reloads?  

They're $110 for a case of 500.  I'm assuming they're reloads, like Black Hills Blue Box, but at about half the price of the Black Hills.  I'm going to pick up two cases tomorrow and I'll let you know how they are.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will have to check out the Hornady practice rounds.  Do you know the price off hand and if they are reloads?  

They're $110 for a case of 500.  I'm assuming they're reloads, like Black Hills Blue Box, but at about half the price of the Black Hills.  I'm going to pick up two cases tomorrow and I'll let you know how they are.

Thanks for the info,  I'll give them a try next.  Just as soon as I get rid of the one's I have.  I bought 1000 rounds of the cheap 62 GR from Natchez just to practice with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
In regards to better understanding OTM (Open Tip Match) vs true/regular Hollow Point you should read the following link: www.thegunzone.com/opentip-ammo.html

Yes, it is alot to read at one time, but it explains the difference in detail very good (IMHO).  he
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In regards to better understanding OTM (Open Tip Match) vs true/regular Hollow Point you should read the following link: www.thegunzone.com/opentip-ammo.html

Yes, it is alot to read at one time, but it explains the difference in detail very good (IMHO).  

But in a "Cliff Notes" version, the OTM ammo (like the Sierra Match King) performs like a FMJ. And true/regular Hollow Points like the "Sierra Game King" mushrooms and so forth. This is why it is legal for U.S. military snipers to use OTM ammo. But it is illegal for the same US military snipers to use true/regular Hollow Point ammo.  

Thanks for the info.  Very good reading.  Not like I got anything else to do.  I'm just sitting on my ass recovering from hernia surgery.  SO feel free to send more stuff for me to read.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The HSM ammunition just came in and it is the .223 version of the Hornady 75 Grain Match.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top