Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:44:31 PM EDT
An officer in my squad was in a rifle class today.  He was firing Ultramax 55FMJ and had a way over pressure load.  It blew out and belled the bottom of his magazine.  Bulged the upper receiver by the ejection port.  Bent the dust cover.  Split the bolt carrier in half.  

It was a tested factory LMT complete upper.  The blow up was witnessed by the whole class and range staff.  The range master advised me another officer had another over pressure load blow out a primer and lock up his AR today also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought two of Cabela's .40S&W "cases" in the plastic ammo boxes.  Turns out it was Ultramax (reloads).  Smokiest damn stuff I ever shot (short of blackpowder).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
that's scary and i was thinking of buying some
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
SHIT!! ANd I just bought several boxes of that stuff with (40, 50, 52gr)because of it accuracy (w/55gr SP) of some I bought at Dick's. I don't have any 55's in this bunch but I will have 200  rounds of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
All you would have to do is a search here of the archives.  Ultramax has blown up several rifles and pistols.

I will NEVER shoot Ultramax.  

You have the 'tards who come in and say "I shot 1000 rounds of Umax and it was fine.... I will buy more, and think ya'll are FOS"

The experiences of shooters here equal hundreds of thousands of rounds... and create a sample size where ammunition reputations can be un-statistically analyzed.  Life it too short to mees with ammo that has a rep. for blowing up guns.

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, BOOM.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Never checked into the Ultramax on here, I was a trusting consumer figuring if its at Dick's it must be good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive never shot UM 556 ammo, but have shot the hell out of their 45LC ammo without a glitch.  I recently picked up 2 boxes of their 45-70 loads and had 3 duds out of 20 in my 1874 Sharps.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I've ran thru a few thousand rounds of Ultramax .223 with no problems.
After hearing all the Kaboom stories relating to this stuff, I WILL NOT Buy it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya but 45 LC is usuall loaded with VERY low pressures for avoid accident in OLD guns so if it is in a new gun then can probably double charge it with still no problems.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top