Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:50:39 PM EDT
I'm looking for cheap blasting ammo.  I picked up some Wolf and some Radway Green at a gun show recently and shot them.  I had been using XM855PD for blasting, so that was my basis for comparison.

I had some Wolf 55gr polymer coat.  This shit didn't impress me one bit.  At 50 yards I was getting 3-5" groupings WITH my Acog!  If I had never read anything on this board regarding wolf, I would know it was grossly underpowered just by how it felt/sounded.  Needless to say, Wolf is the WORST ammo I have ever fired, BUT it's REALLY hard to argue with $130/1k!

The Radway seemed pretty good.  I was getting nice tight groups with it, it fed and cycled well, and seemed to generally perform better than than the Wolf.  All things being equal, I would go for the RORG in a heartbeat....but.....

I am still relatively new to shooting,  My M4gery was my first gun, and still is my only rifle.  I am STARTING to get to be an OK shot with it.  I am also a VERY broke college student (for another 3 months) so cost is a major consideration.  My question is: Can I get enough training value out of the eratic and crappy Wolf ammo to make it worth my money, or should I spring for the RORG for accuracy?  I'd rather spend $50 more to get more training value for my $ if that is the case, but if I can get away with the Wolf, I'd like to keep that $50 in my pocket.

On a side note (and totally unrelated):  Is the 62gr wolf bullet a SS109 bullet, or just a 62gr FMJ lead bullet?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
any trigger time is good time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Zhukov-  Let's not forget that I suck at shooting, and that I just got my ACOG, so I'm still getting used to it.  Truth be told, I was shooting as good of groups with iron sights as I was with the ACOG, but I imagine I will get better at shooting/grouping with the ACOG with practice, which is why I think it is an important consideration to have ammo that will actually hit shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#5]
what wt in wolf did you try?

I found that the 62 gr is more accurate than the 55 gr for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what wt in wolf did you try?

I found that the 62 gr is more accurate than the 55 gr for me.

I was shooting the 55gr shit because the 62 wasnt at the show i was at.  If i were to buy wolf, I fully planned to get the 62 gr
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Zhukov-  Let's not forget that I suck at shooting, and that I just got my ACOG, so I'm still getting used to it.  Truth be told, I was shooting as good of groups with iron sights as I was with the ACOG, but I imagine I will get better at shooting/grouping with the ACOG with practice, which is why I think it is an important consideration to have ammo that will actually hit shit.

You're a broke student but you have an ACOG.  Just wait til you have a wife, 2-1/2 kids, 2-1/2 cars, retirement to worry about, life insurance, mortgage if you own a home, food for those 2-1/2 kids, etc, etc.  You'll be glad you got the acog now.  

Anyways, to the issue at hand.  Wolf is hard to beat price wise.  If you can stand it's downsides.  The walmart 55 grain value pack is a very good value and may even shoot well (better than wolf) in your AR.  I'd try the 62's next time too if I were you.  But we've been buying up the WWB Wally world 55 grain VP's for plinking / blasting / training ammo.  EDITED TO ADD. That wally world stuff if $ 7.73 for 40 rounds.  That's pretty cheap.  Especially for good brass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
What you are lookin for is Spankin ammo
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top