Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 9:54:05 AM EDT
I bought a box of random ammo from my local gun shop. The 5.56x45mm ammo ncluded is some DU 5.56mm ammo (I was told it was DU, I have no clue myself. It is copper jacketed, magnetic, and has a flat tip), SS109, a tracer round, and Speer NT ammo... and some wierd looking rounds.

NUMBER ONE:

These look like regular rounds, BUT have no primer. If you look inside, there is no primer pocket, there is a hole and then the whole thing is solid. The headstamp is "LC" at 12 oclock and "68" or "69" at six oclock. I think this is Lake City and I know the number is the date, but WHAT is this ammo? Is it rare?

NUMBER TWO:

This looks like an alluminum case, but with no bullet. The base of the thing can be pulled out and pushed in and turned, and apparently has a piston or something inside. The headstamp looks like it has a .22 LR case inside of it and the center of the .22 looking case has an "E". What is this? Is it rare?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
pics
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing here:

#1---They could be function test rounds use to test actions.

#2---That sounds like a 22 rimfire adaptor that allows you to shoot rimfires out of your .223 chamber.

If you have any .22 LR lying around see if it fits.

#3---I highly doubt you have a Depleted Uranium round since nothing smaller than a 20mm is utilizing it.  However, that's not saying that the military didn't test DU 5.56 rounds. If it was DU it would have a blue bullet, not just the tip but the whole bullet.

I would also doubt that any would have made it to the public but anything is possible.

TS
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I looked in the neck of the aluminum thing, no way a bullet could fit through there. Could it be some kind of gauge to check for something?

About the unknown bullets, the tip isn't blue, it is copper jacketed. The tip is flat and there is a raised circle in the center. The headstamp reads "P-A RH" at 12 oclock and "223 Rem" at 6 oclock. I know it came from the military, I just dont know what the heck it is.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Sell it on Ebay.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
PICS!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you bought PD ammo since it was all thrown together.  Since PD ammo is quality control rejects you could have a realy messed up round that was rejected for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
UTM: Ultimate Training Munition.  We were looking for an alternative to simunitions.  They also make blanks that do not require a BFA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The ammo is not LE, it is military, I know that. I just dont know what any of it is.

The LC stuff is not live ammo, I think it is dummy rounds unless it has some special way of firing. How much would it be worth, given it is from the time the first M-16s were fielded?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Number 2:

Is probably a UK made training round, as a company over here was developing them for sale to the US Mil / LEO. The reason I say a UK round is because it sounds as if the round you have has a Eley .22 cartridge in the base (the E) this provides the propellent source.

Picture below:-

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The one you showed me is the same as mine, only mine doesn't have a bullet in it. So what, you take out the old case and put in a new .22 blank case, then cram a bullet in the neck and fire? Is it worth anything? And why is there a piston in the middle, and why can you pull the base of the cartride out and twist it and all that crud?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
They were, I think, made to be reloadable.

I have two rounds: I have not seen any, outside some UK Police Forces,  in the UK

They went into mass use with the US Mil (?), some 2000 adaptor kits were sent over (?)

You could have something collectable....?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool... I'll sell one to you, just $3,000 Seriously, what are they worth? I need some money for a project and have no AR-15 myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
again are we gonna see pics or what??? lets ee these du rounds you have.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
If there is no flash hole, just a blank primer pocket, it's probably a dummy round for training and some function testing.
Laters ones have fluted cases.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, I do not have a digital camera. The rounds that I was told are DU by a friend apparently arent. The guy who sold them to me didn't know what they were, so back to square one.

Description: Brass case. Copper plated, flat tip bullet, there is a raised circle in the center of it that covers most of the top of the flat tip of the bullet. The headstamp has "P-A RH" at 12 oclock and "223 REM" at 6 oclock. It is shiney, looks newish.

Are the dummy rounds worth anything?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
A dummy round would be worth something to the right person.  I've been looking at getting some for weapon failure drills.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sorry, I do not have a digital camera. The rounds that I was told are DU by a friend apparently arent. The guy who sold them to me didn't know what they were, so back to square one.

Description: Brass case. Copper plated, flat tip bullet, there is a raised circle in the center of it that covers most of the top of the flat tip of the bullet. The headstamp has "P-A RH" at 12 oclock and "223 REM" at 6 oclock. It is shiney, looks newish.

Jesus christ enough with the "are they worth anything."

No one here hardly knows what they are or ever seen one let alone bought one.  How are we supposed to know what its worth?

Try selling it on e-bay or gun broker as a militaria collectible, maybe someone will buy it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not have an AR. I want to trade these or sell them and don't want to get jipped. I am working on a new collection of AK mags and need money.  Also, I was asking the value of the dummy rounds- we know what they are apparently, LC 1968 and 1969 production dummy rounds. And the other is apparently a Brittish training round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I do not have an AR. I want to trade these or sell them and don't want to get jipped. I am working on a new collection of AK mags and need money.  Also, I was asking the value of the dummy rounds- we know what they are apparently, LC 1968 and 1969 production dummy rounds. And the other is apparently a Brittish training round.

So try to sell them on an auction site and see what you get.  Its more then the donut you have in your pocket right now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If it is stamped  ".223" is is almost certainlt not US military.  I have never seen the .mil use any nomenclature other than 5.56mm, although I guess it could be a unit level purchased item.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top