Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:16:54 AM EDT
Well...in so far as the grain I guess. I usually shoot Federal AE223 for plinking. I want to try the Blackhills bulebox that Gander Mountain has got. But what it the highest grain a 1:9 twist barrel can take for accuracy and performance?

Ken
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Some people will sit here and give you the ammo oracle link, but I'll tell you what I have the best results with.

1) 79gr. Match handloads from www.tsgunsandammo.com
2) Black Hills 60gr. from cheaperthandirt.com
3) Winchester 45gr Varmint from Wal-mart

Thats my top 3

Wes

Edit: This is out of a 1:9 twist 24" chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
For my best resutls from a free float 20" stainless steel HBAR:

1) 52grain Match Black Hills
2) 40grain Nosler Ballisitic Tip Black Hills
3) Winchester 45grain Varmint

I have shot 68grain Black Hills out of it without ill effects (7" change in POI @ 100 yards to the right).

My typical results are 1-1.5MOA from 50 yards out to 300. Most of that is the idiot behind the trigger (me).

Best bet, Grab a box of each that is locally available and in the price range you want. Then go try them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 24" chrome-lined barrel with 1:9 twist, and I tell ya, I can feed my AR anything and drill tacks. I've shot everything from 40gr to 72gr and they all easily group sub 2 inch at 300 yards. I've tried every brand my gunstore has (just for fun) and the only thing I ever had a prob with was that CRAP BROWN BEAR.
I usually shoot 55gr acrossed the board for target and varmint, though 40gr for p-dogs works beautifully. I have a buddy who is in the Marine Corps and match shoots and says his 1:9 twist DPMS can be fed 79gr and still drill shit at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no "best ammo" for a 1/9 twist barrel.  All guns will behave differently with different kinds of ammo.  Just try a bunch of different types and see what is most accurate out of your rifle.  1/9 should stabilize anything from 40 gr. to 69 gr. so have at it.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top