AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Flash:  

1,215 members of ARFCOM, a militia related group of AR 15 worshipping, terrorist "gun nuts," were arrested in a nationwide sting operation involving a total of 12 million rounds of deadly, military, armor piercing, 5.56 caliber,  "M855" ammunition.  This vast group of right wing conspiritors each had, on average, an ARSENAL of 10,000 rounds of this deadly cop killer ammunition in addition to an average of 8 deadly high power non hunting weapons each.  

Glen Graff, of Fayetteville, Arkansas, one of the terrorists, said, "The 2nd Amendment doesn't have anything to do with hunting, this is for Zombies!"  

He, and others, are being held without bail pending indictment.

Sorry, couldn't help it.  But I got to thinking about a co worker who, after she commented she thought anyone who would have a thousand rounds in posession was a danger to the public, looked at me when I told her I could burn through a thousand rounds in a weekend, easy.  She likes me, but doesn't know what to do with me.

Rick

The next time I go Rock & Roll on my M16 I'll be shooting up 900 rounds of .223.  The only reason that I'll be restricted to 900 rounds is that I only have an hour to shoot it in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sorry, couldn't help it.  But I got to thinking about a co worker who, after she commented she thought anyone who would have a thousand rounds in posession was a danger to the public, looked at me when I told her I could burn through a thousand rounds in a weekend, easy.  She likes me, but doesn't know what to do with me.

Rick

Take her out shooting and after she goes through over 100 rounds herself just in simple instruction, maybe reality will finally hit her.

I love getting into that conversation with idiots who think that limiting ammo to something "reasonable" like 100 rounds of any given chambering is logical.      Sure, I'm gonna go out to my shooting spot, shoot through what I took with me, turn around to come back into town only to buy another 100 rounds before going back out shooting.

Multiple trips just to shoot 300-400 rounds.    Logical to me....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick

Take her out shooting and after she goes through over 100 rounds herself just in simple instruction, maybe reality will finally hit her.

I love getting into that conversation with idiots who think that limiting ammo to something "reasonable" like 100 rounds of any given chambering is logical.      Sure, I'm gonna go out to my shooting spot, shoot through what I took with me, turn around to come back into town only to buy another 100 rounds before going back out shooting.

Sounds logical enough if you're a lib-tard and thinking shooting in general is "dangerous" or "violent"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick

Sounds logical enough if you're a lib-tard and thinking shooting in general is "dangerous" or "violent"

You'd save more lives in this fat ass country by limiting the number of calories people could buy at the grocery store each visit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If the situation gets that bad, and assuming some of us live in your neighborhood, half of you guys just showed the other half where to go to get ammo?

Theoretically, who will be the ones who resrtrict our choices to purchase ammo?  Answer: The Fed Gov. and or the UN.  

Now who has all the ammo they need to keep us from getting any ammo? Get real and fill in the blank!!!

That is exactly were we will need to get our ammo.......we already paid for it so it aint stealing.

Does anybody remember the movie Red Dawn??  Just change the aggressor and you will figure out what to do.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I went through about 600 rounds of 9mm a month when shooting USPSA competitions. That's 7200 rounds in a year.   had
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just kidding around, I don't have that much ammo.

But seriously, why stock up on 5,000-10,000 rounds of ammo when you will probably never use it.  I understand if some guys buy 5,000 rounds then go shooting and blow it all in time, then order more.  If you are storing it in underground bunkers, in ammo cans, etc. do you think you will ever use it?  I know there is always that feeling that someday you will need it, but most likely not.
Personally I only have 200 rounds of M855 sitting for when/if TSHTF.  The rest of the stuff I want to shoot.

Go ahead and flame on....

Jackal,

I happen to agree with you. You will PROBABLY not ever need it. You also will PROBABLY not EVER get accosted where use of lethal force will be necesssary. But, it's like life insurance...if you DO need it, you'll need it once, and need it very badly to take care of your family, loved ones or some other innocent party.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The biggest issue facing the right to bear arms and ultimately to shoot them at a range (especially outdoor ranges) in the SouthEast and Eastern USA is the constant "urban sprawl". More and more gun ranges are closing because builders come in and build a ton of neighborhoods or model home developments within a mile of gun ranges. They then petition the city because of the noise or the threat of a "stray bullet". For example, one such case in Tampa Bay, FL some years back involved a developer who said to the chief of police - "Can you absolutely guarantee that a stray bullet won't hit my house again?". Supposedly he had found a small hole in the top of his roof and pulled out a bullet which he documented. Personally I think it was BS and staged.

Anyway,  a lot of people think the anti-gun lobby will win out eventually and/or the threat of terrorism on our own soil will further decrease our liberties in the (illusion) of increasing security. But I think that a trend over the next 20 years towards massive urban sprawl and the spread of cities outward into the country will inevitably choke the gun owners and their ability to shoot freely. Hunting will probably still be around for some state parks to control wildlife (or not if PETA spreads too), but sport shooting will start to die off.

Remember, just because you own land, even lots of it, doesn't mean you are safe from a city being eventually built on it, and your home and land claimed as a "public nuisance". It has been ruled that homes can be siezed even if the home owners refuse to sell out, and a large commercial developer has enough power in the city to push for your removal. I saw this on 20/20 I think, about several old couples in a beautiful neighborhood near a downtown in some city. They refused to sell out to a developer who wanted to build a large condo or mall or something. The court ruled in favor of the developer, citing that their homes would be a blight on the surrounding commercial district (which over the years had closed in around them). The people were evicted, their homes were flattened and they became homeless (unless someone saw the story and assisted them out of the kindness of their hearts), probably all the while thinking how disgusting this was, for someone to take their land and home these people lived in all their lives.

That is just one of my predictions.

- rem
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I can easily run through 4k rounds over during a two day Emmagee shoot.  I try to keep at least 30k .223 and about the same in 9mm in stock.  No, I'm not really all that concerned about the end of the world.  Actually, although I have plenty of SHTF ammo, my loaded mags are full of  Wolf poly and Barnaul 9mm.  

I can also easily run through 500 rounds of shotshells in one weekend.  I keep something like 50k shotshells in inventory, either as factory ammo or components, for the various gauges.  Plenty of .22lr, and at least 200 rounds for every rifle in my collection, even some obsolete rounds.

I want to be in a position to wait out temporary shortages.  Remember the primer/handgun ammo shortage we had a few years back?  Didn't bother me.  Looking short term, I don't want to have to rush out and pay top dollar for ammo b/c I'm out of .410s before a shoot.  I don't want to care if some manufacturer discontinues ammo or components for some old lever gun round.

Sam  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Remember, just because you own land, even lots of it, doesn't mean you are safe from a city being eventually built on it, and your home and land claimed as a "public nuisance". It has been ruled that homes can be siezed even if the home owners refuse to sell out,

Where there's a man, a will, and a bull dozer up armored with slabs of steel + cement, there's a way....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Samuel_Hoggson posted:

I want to be in a position to wait out temporary shortages. Remember the primer/handgun ammo shortage we had a few years back?

I agree.  It smooths out a lot of supply issues to have enough inventory on hand. I always try to buy "a little extra" so as to build up over time rather than get killed having to buy when I have to have it.  Also, I don't always know what will be available and when.  

My personal philosophy on SHTF scenarios is fairly simple:
   If it is ever really that bad I will probably have a lot of other things besides ammo to think about.
   Ammo is pretty much one solution to a limited (useful, but limited) problem set.
   I need to try to be as prepared across the board as is reasonably possible for my particular  
situation.

A lesson fron NOLA and Houston is that it's not only how prepared, but WHEN to act.  Lots of great posts recently about timing, good and bad both.

Having quantity sufficient of ammo helps me buffer my timing.

Good Thread,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Tack quoted Jackal, and said:

Jackal,

I happen to agree with you. You will PROBABLY not ever need it. You also will PROBABLY not EVER get accosted where use of lethal force will be necesssary. But, it's like life insurance...if you DO need it, you'll need it once, and need it very badly to take care of your family, loved ones or some other innocent party.

This is too true.  I don't put on my seatbelt because I expect to be in an accident.  I don't have auto insurance because I expect to be in an accident (but, law says must have), I don't carry CCW because I expect to be in a fight.  If I thought I was going somewhere where I would be in a fight I wouldn't go there (Excepting no option, of course). I don't have extra supplies (ammo included)because I think I'll need them all at once.  

It's just part of keeping the whole thing moving without having to move in fits and starts,  It's pre planning and works well.  

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
let them hord it in ammo cans.......if you need it 10-20 years from know half of it will be no good......i dont have one round in my house that is over a year old................well exept that 40mm anti-armor  shell

Wow!  no good in 10 years, 20 years?  Ya mean all the WWII 8 mil German ammo I see the guys blasting at the Range isn't any good?  Wow, noisy stuff for 60 year old crappy no good ammo!  P.s. I don't recommending standing down range of it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
let them hord it in ammo cans.......if you need it 10-20 years from know half of it will be no good...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one.  If you really believe that you are so sadly misinformed.

Ammo correctly stored in cans will outlast your great grand children.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you think that stocking up on reloading on ammo compnents would be a good idea? I think it'd be easier to just like stock on one component at a time , store it and then decide on the next one. One of my local store don't have ANY 223 asside from laquer wolf ammo , but they do have about 20,000 primers instock for 223 brass :)

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do you think that stocking up on reloading on ammo compnents would be a good idea? I think it'd be easier to just like stock on one component at a time , store it and then decide on the next one. One of my local store don't have ANY 223 asside from laquer wolf ammo , but they do have about 20,000 primers instock for 223 brass :)

Never a bad idea.  

For instance, I probably have 800-1200 .40S&W rounds on hand.  I have power, primers, brass, bullets on hand to probably load another 5000 or so, assuming I get a few of my cases back.

For my match/target rifles, I try not to keep more than 200-300 rounds on hand for each.  These are handloaded ammo that I have spent lots of time on and are specific per each rifle.  If I burn my throat out in one of my .308's, that load doesn't shoot the greatest in other rifles, I'm only out a few hundred crappy rounds.  

In a bad situation, odds are you are not going to need 10,000 rounds of .223 right away, unless you have a minigun and a street full of zombies.  You would most likely have time to reload more ammo.  If you have to get away from an area quickly, you probably will not want to haul all your reloading stuff, nor will you be able to haul more than a few hundred rounds of ammo.  Then you are back to having a common caliber that you can find or be given more ammo for easily.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I am lovin this thread! Let's face it guys - if the SHTF, I mean really hits it, do you think we'll all still be hangin around in our homes? Probably not. Now it's always good to have lots of ammo, just in case, and of course you have to be loaded up for plinking, and maybe you can carry water, food, camping stuff, survival gear, and 20k rounds of ammo in your vehicle, but where are you gonna put your guns and that annoying space-consuming family of yours? At any rate, any ammo that goes BANG and heads downrange and into your target is good enough for me - I've shot XM193PD, Winchester SilverTips, Remington HPBT, and anything else I can get my hands on through my Bushmaster, and with the exception of a few XM193 dented primers, I hit the target every time.
As far as the problem of crazy governments and the UN banning ammo and/or taxing the hell out of it, that is a very real issue. Look around the world, other people are doing it. So quit talking about action and let's do what we can! Personally, I belong to the NRA, the RMEF, the NA Hunting Club, as many local ranges as possible, and write my Senators and Congressmen every chance I get when some liberal kitten stroking anti-gun bill rears it's ugly head. (like S.397!) Did you know about that one? No?! Well then (god-forbid!) get off AR15.com and go find out about it! It just saved the gun industry and prevented a SHTF incident!
And don't forget - stop complaining about XM193PD and just buy it! It's cheap and remember, it fragments! Yeah! (so please no more threads titled "XM193PD, what's the deal?".

So shoot a few thousand rounds for those soldiers who never made it home to get the chance, and Screw the Dems!
hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Flash:  

1,215 members of ARFCOM, a militia related group of AR 15 worshipping, terrorist "gun nuts," were arrested in a nationwide sting operation involving a total of 12 million rounds of deadly, military, armor piercing, 5.56 caliber,  "M855" ammunition.  This vast group of right wing conspiritors each had, on average, an ARSENAL of 10,000 rounds of this deadly cop killer ammunition in addition to an average of 8 deadly high power non hunting weapons each.  

Glen Graff, of Fayetteville, Arkansas, one of the terrorists, said, "The 2nd Amendment doesn't have anything to do with hunting, this is for Zombies!"  

He, and others, are being held without bail pending indictment.

Rick

Well luckily there's nothing illegal (yet) about buying lots of ammo.  But my UPS delivery guy and the desk at my apartment complex are starting to catch on and give me funny looks though.  I keep getting these 20-40lb packages labelled "ORM-D" and/or "Small Arms Cartridges" about once a month.  The best one was when one of the companies I ordered from shipped a 500 round case of 9mm in the original mfg's box with all the details printed all over it (as opposed to the usual nondescript brown boxes).  The front desk guy, being completely clueless but mildly scared and curious, asked me if it was for hunting.  I just said yes, because otherwise that conversation would've taken a really long time.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Talking about looking in your closet -- I looked and there is three boxes of SUPER VEL 9mm, now that is some old stuff.  But, for 5.56 if I don't have at least 2K rounds, I feel totaly 'naked'!  I agree That some day, sooner than we may think, getting ammo will be the problem, no matter how many firearms you have.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top