Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:14:59 AM EDT
Just picked up some Black Hills blue box 68 grain OTM from Midway.  I noticed when I opened the boxes that what looks like polishing media was static-clung to the plastic tray, and some of the open bullet tips have a piece of media stuck in them.  Does this sound right?  I'll try running a vacuum over it later today to see if it just pops right out.  Don't want any stoppages due to media in the works, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Every box of BH 68gr. moly coated I've purchased has polishing media stuck in some of the hollow points.   I've been using this ammo for about 6 yeary and it's never caused any problems for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
hokiedave92 - What you are seeing is ground walnut shell polishing media. The media gets in the tips when the bullets are cleaned after being formed. It can found in our 52, 68 and 75 grain BTHP bullets.

We've peformed tests to determine if this affects accuracy. So far it has not been shown to. Also, in the 13+ years I've been here I have never heard of any malfunctions attributed to the media.  Carl
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, fellas, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Regards,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ignore it, it won't hurt a thing.

I have shot lots of bullets with media stuck in tips, all performed per usual.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top