Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2005 11:32:11 PM EDT
I want everyones input on using FMJ vs HP's.  One of the gun range officers at the garland range told me that FMJ only "maims" the victim and not kills them.  I think he's bs and somewhat mentally retarded.....but please give me some input.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Ideally, JHPs damage more tissue than FMJs. However, neither is to be taken lightly.

Run a search for the International Wound Ballistics Association.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you have him ask some of the dead insurgents over in Iraq if the bullets just maim or kill.

What a MORON!

I'd avoid him if possible.

Both will kill, next thing you know he will tell you no one ever got killed by a 22lr bullet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont understand the hostility?
duh...?
Legit question, answered well.
get a grip.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
like when some expert told me the AR wont kill you by 1 round it takes up to 5 or 6 and the AKs round will stop you with 1cause its a real caliber.so I told him "great you wont mind taking a round or two,you pick the places "
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah one of the younger officers at the Garland Texas shooting range was so anal that I had fmj's in my clips.  

Their rule #1 states that:
No FMJ allowed to be fired on the rifle range.

To me that doesn't mean I can have it there as long as I don't fire it.  Some of us don't have the luxory of having extra clips to load up soft points.  

So he goes into a debate with me stating that FMJ's are useless and they are not made to kill.  I was sorta dumb founded hearing all this from a guy that helps operate a gun range.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Now I remember reading somewhere that when the intermediate cartridge concept came about that there was talk of bullets that wound rather than kill. The theory being a wounded soldier will require 1 or 2 fellow soldiers to help him off the field, rather a dead one would require no one to give him aid. I cant recall where I read it but I do know it was a discussion with Eugene Stoner and Mikhail Kalashnikov over the reasons behind the development of the weapon systems. Now I know as well as most that a FMJ in the right spot can kill with one shot but even a JHP can just wound if not hit in a critical area. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah one of the younger officers at the Garland Texas shooting range was so anal that I had fmj's in my clips.  

Their rule #1 states that:
No FMJ allowed to be fired on the rifle range.

To me that doesn't mean I can have it there as long as I don't fire it.  Some of us don't have the luxory of having extra clips to load up soft points.  

So he goes into a debate with me stating that FMJ's are useless and they are not made to kill.  I was sorta dumb founded hearing all this from a guy that helps operate a gun range.  

You need to tell him that two million dead asians can't be wrong!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
some people will believe what they want to, just let it pass and go on about your business.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top