Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 4:14:23 PM EDT
I'm new to the AR-15 forum and should have the last, long awaited part of my 1st build tomorrow.

I've got XM193 ammo, and obviously it's not going to be perfect.  They all have a minor ding here & there.  And some spots here & there.  I had some brass cleaner (not brasso) - stuff used for doing reloads (Turbo Case Cleaner by Lyman).

My thought was to go through each round with calipers, clean it, then inspect each round before moving into the "good" cases.  Time consuming and admittedly a bit nerotic.  
1.  is it overkill?  
2.  Should a just check to ensure the bullet isn't seated too deep and look for major dings?  
3.  are there any major things that I should be looking for in addition to the above?
4.  what's an acceptable ding?  any location to be more concerned with?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
is it XM193PD or just XM193?
If it is the latter, you are probably ok with just a visual inspection.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's Federal XM193.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
 Inspect each round, look for the odvious.  No need for calipers.  As far as dents, I don't use the ones with anything more than a small ding in the case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's Federal XM193.

Yer good to go....Congrats on yer first build....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A visual inspection is plenty, small dents are nothing to worry about, if the whole side of the case is caved in...throw it out!  A visual inspection will also take a general look at the bullets, make sure none are seated too deep, and the pointy side to the front.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 Inspect each round, look for the odvious.  No need for calipers.  As far as dents, I don't use the ones with anything more than a small ding in the case.

+1.

Inspect each and every round.  Remember, whether it is XM193 or the -PD version, they are all Government REJECTS.  The Government rejected it for a reason, and we DO NOT know that reason!

Besides that mentioned by safetyhit, ensure it has a primer and that it sits flush.  Shake to ensure it has powder (no powder = primer strike resulting in possible bullet in bore condition), properly seated bullet, no case neck splits or other damage.  The black gunk comes off with a little Hoppes and a patch.  Good luck.  Time spent inspecting ammo beats time spent repairing rifle.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top