Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 11:28:15 PM EDT
I was think about this ( yes I am bored) but I couldnt decide.

I thought that 5000 rounds would be good for a short SHTF situation but if it was to last a long time, I would think around 20000 or more rounds.

What do you all think?  So far I only have 500 rounds but my AR is not even done yet and I cannot have it anyways, stationed in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think 5K would be way more than ample. Odds are even 1K would be too much, and you probably would only need one magazine's worth, unless you used it for the long term, such as for for hunting for food.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Just remember that the battlefield will be full of supplies dropped by the retreating or dead.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
But remeber, if it is a SHTF situation, there would be no one to sell ammo ever again, What you have then is all that you wold have forever (unless you are a rocket scientist and could produce new ammo from scratch)
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My standard is 1000 per caliber for SHTF firearms.  I try to keep 5000 for my AR though.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
post deleted
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
and how are you going to move this stuff around if ya have to go mobile?

unless ya have the ability to hole up somewhere.......and if shtf where are you going to reliably get fuel for transport?

i like to stay light i dont want a portracted firefight just want to get my family to saftey....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
There will  never be enough ammo
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're on foot (EMP, whatever) when TSHTF, more than 1k rounds is silly.  Hell, more than 300 rds is getting heavy if you're also trying to lug around a BOB.  If you've got a fortress, then the additional ammo may be helpful.  If not, you're going to need several people to defend your position; if you don't have those people, get the hell out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I say the more the better.
If your holding out in a fortified building then all the ammo you can store is the best rout.  
At least 1 round per enemy is all you really need.

So if your surrounded by thousands of enemies then you will be happy that you have thousands of rounds of ammo.  Taking into account that you have a real fortress.

If your surrounded by hundreds of zombies then the smell will get to you first.

The ammo you will need will depend on your situation.  Carry as much ammo as you can.  If you bug out on foot then you have less ammo, if you bug out in a vehicle then ammo can be stored between the seats.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
If I need 1,000 rounds per weapon I am probably fucked.  Hell, if I need more than a few magazines worth (notwithstanding hunting, etc.) then I am probably still fucked.  

Typically I have around 500-1000 rounds per weapon, but not for SHTF reason, only because it is cheaper to buy it in cases or half cases.

[ETA] the real question is how many spare parts do you have for your weapon?  I have enough spares to immediately replace the bolt/bc asembly on my AR's, plus spare firing pins and FPRP and and all the tooling to tear apart and rebuild an AR if necessary.  Ammo is useless unless you have a way to send it downrange!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The answer to this question really depends on how much sh*% is coming at you from that fan.  You could have 1k rounds with only one mag, you would be toast if more than 3 arm opponents are attacking.  You could have 20 loaded mags but would be toast if you had to run.  Etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
All I gots to say is:

"The first casualties of battle are truth and planning."

Nobody really knows what the hell is going on when SHTF, worse yet  when you close with enemy.

Are you gonna be on offense? defense? Think about it. 300 rds on person not bad; the rest stashed.

[That is, unless you got a whole lot of buds, platoon like, been training your asses off for weeks, and know exactly what each guy on the right and left are gonna do when SHTF] ...very rare, altho I see some Militia folks doing it, and you have op plans, strategy, defensive points, fileds of fire, etc.

Like most folks, you'll be alone or with your immediate family. and sweating a lot.

You are down and dirty trying to hold your position/life and a lot of crazy things start happening.

Lookit them poor bastards in NO--whadayathink their basements loaded with ammo look like during a flood? Stash here--stash there--stash everywhere,

"A half-assed plan executed VIOLENTLY NOW is worth more than a perfect plan done tomorrow>"

--- Gen. Geo. S. Patton---

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I need enough ammo that I would be good if there was, for some reason, no more ammo to be had, ever.  

Enough ammo for all the guns I have in case for some reason there are no more guns to be had, ever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#17]
 I take the question to mean, how much ammo to last out your lifetime, including recreation shooting.  Each will have their own answer for that, figure out your needs yearly and multiply by how many years you figure living.

For defensive needs there is no definate answer, as that could be a few rounds, up to thousands.  I figure for defence, a case would be plenty.  Any more and you are in a protracted war situation, which I guess is remotely possible.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#18]
A SHTF  situation lasting more than a few weeks is almost certainly a fantasy. NO, on a slightly larger scale and for maybe a month is about the worst that could realistically happen. 1k should be OK--you might want extra to pass out to friends and neighbors.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top