Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:15:31 AM EDT
While I'm still waiting for my DPMS 24" .308, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the rifle and the ammo for it.  On this site, and others, different opinions abound.  Since the 24" is obviously for distance shooting, I expect to shoot match ammo when required.  But for punching paper and plinking I don't need Federal Gold Cup.  So what's some of the better surplus .308 that will run through the DPMS?  South African, Austrailian, Lake City, somethinag else???  Price is a minor concern, but it's there, especially if I put a lot of rounds downrange.
Thanks,
Thom
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The three you mentioned will work well, however, bulk Aussie is getting hard to come by.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas sells Ultramax 168gr HPBT ammo in bulk that I got really good results out of in a rem 700 bolt action with a 24inch barrel.  Its not the cheapest, probably somewhere in between match ammo and true surplus bulk.  But, for me it was perfect for getting used to the rifle and practicing hiting targets at unknown distances--which required lots of rounds for me .

My "real" ammo was black hills red-box match 168gr. HPBT.  For me, the Ultramax POI was only slightly lower (>.5 MOA) and the groups only opened up slightly.  On a good day I could keep the Black Hills at just over .5MOA.  On the same good day, the Ultramax would group up nearer .8MOA.  This data was from limited ranges (100-200yrds) since I was comparing the ammo.  In my buddies field, where I dispensed most of the Ultramax, it worked great and helped me build skills when shooting the "premo" stuff.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I've never had any luck with Ultra-crap, in either my .308 or my .223/5.56 ARs - all semi-autos, of course.  I'll probably try some BH Match next in my AR-10, but it's not cheap at more than $1 per round, if I remember the Cabela's price correctly.  Tagged for further discussion.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Anytime you can find Hirtenberger ammo, GO GET IT!
I can’t think of a better brand of ammunition.

Granted it isn’t easy to find these days.
Aim Surplus had some a few months ago and now they’re out of it.

The Ammunition Store has some Right Now!
Ammunition Store .308 Ammo

Get some while you can.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out a 7.62 website: "Rifle-Company.com" in their "Ammo Dump" section.

Another one is: "M-14Forum.com" then again, the boys at:

"CMP-Civilian Marksmanship Program" are very good.

---Stay the hell away from the .308 mil-surp from India!---

KEEP ON BLAMMIN'!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Best is M118 when you can get it.

I like Port, SA, and Aussie for my Cetme and Frankenfal1a1, but my long (boltgun) gets reloads or BH or Fed match exclusively.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
$210.00 for 500 rds i'snt bad. My suggestion is wait and order only in Lake City brass when available if shooting out of a gas gun.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/p7c2d617bbc92d98ec4c3e0ca2ce593b1/f54515b9.jpg.thumb.jpg
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top