Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
Good stuff?  It appears very uniform.  A random sampling of 20 rounds showed all of the bullets to be properly seated at the cannalure.  All the cases looked fine/uniform.  Comes loose in a 1000 round steel ammo box.  How's it stack up to XM193/Q3131A?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Second look...i can pull it across the table with a refrigerator magnet.  Appears to be an SS109 bullet (no green tip).  It's not M193.  This stuff should work fine for my 2 day carbine course.

Can you believe no one at the Valley forge gun show had Wolf .223 for a reasonable price.  On guy didn't have any, the other guy was selling for $130/1000

I got the hirtenberger stuff for $157.  Kinda pissed the guy told me if was the same as XM193, but not really since it was gonna be use as practice ammo for my carbine course and not a defensive ammo.  At least i can take the course with full power/recoil NATO loads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
no, it's not.  It's a weak fridge magnet so you can tell where the steel part is on the bullet.  If you touch the tip of the bullet it it won't stick.  seems like there's a penetrator down by the cannelure.  If it was a steel jacket is would be magnetic throughout.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you buy this ammo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you buy your ammo at the Valley Forge gun show this weekend? If so, I saw a vendor selling what he claimed was Hirt SS109. It was loose packed in ammo cans. After closer inspection I discovered that the head stamp was the same as Olympic. Either this guy does not no what he is selling or he is trying to pull a fast one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I got it at valley forge.  THere were two ammo vendors, ammunitionstore.com, which had shitty prices and didn't know what they were selling and another guy on the other side who had good prices and didn't know what he was selling.  This stuff is varied year (2000-2003) LC brass with the nato headstamp.  So i figured whether it was hurtenburger or LC, for $158, i was getting a decent deal
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would Hirt hace LC brass?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
What exactly does the headstamp look like?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got it at valley forge.  THere were two ammo vendors, ammunitionstore.com, which had shitty prices and didn't know what they were selling and another guy on the other side who had good prices and didn't know what he was selling.  This stuff is varied year (2000-2003) LC brass with the nato headstamp.  So i figured whether it was hurtenburger or LC, for $158, i was getting a decent deal

Sounds like the PD ammo that was floating around if it was loose-packed in a can, no paint on the tips.  LC stamps=LC ammo.  Most had good results, but I'd sort the rounds out and toss any that really looked like shit.  There's a good quantity on the market so that'd make sense.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I reached in and grabbed a handful to inspect.  none of them looked bad.  I think if it is XM855PD i got a decent batch.  Worst i saw was a single round with a tiny crack on the neck.  I figure if any of them really look like shit i'll see it when i load them up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What exactly does the headstamp look like?

Like LC ammo.  LC [yy] with a nato cross at the top.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
clubsoda22, I bought the same ammo from the sounds of it a while back from a guy at the Harrisburg show. IT IS NOT Hirtenberger and it JAMMED like S*$t all the time!! I tried to use it in semi and full on my Colt 614. The ammo was PURE JUNK. I hope you didn't get the same stuff but it sounds like you did. Mine came packed loose in a ammo can too. Good luck with it!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a case of this stuff from them last fall and was VERY disappointed.  About 20% were duds in my brand new Bushy DCM.  Tried it in other AR-15s to make sure it wasn't a problem with mine and same results.  Also took it to an active duty friend with an Army issue M-16 and same results.  It appears that the primers are bad or too hard since all cases showed very light dimpling after attempting to fire.

I took some back to them at the next show and they said it was the guns.  I told them that they had been tried in 4 different guns including one that is in the Near East right now and he said that he couldn't do anything about it.  Never going to buy ammo from them again.  Too high priced for crap ammo and no concern for customer repeat business.  My two cents worth: never buy anything from these guys!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Where do I get this stuff? Links?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where do I get this stuff? Links?

Why do you want it?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top