Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT
I have put a bunch of the new poly Wolf through my Bushmaster build without cleaning and it has functioned flawlessly. I love the price too.

Why though do they still use that crappy red sealent around the primer. I can already see a build up on the bolt face and I imagine that with time this will affect function of the extractor. This is also the reason why I still will not use Wolf in my primary AR. Is there any reason why they need that sealent? Most people only used this as practice ammo anyway. It seems like this would be one final step towards making Wolf complaint free.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Just freaking clean the rifle after every outing and you won't have a problem.

Just like you need to change the oil in your car to keep it running - you need to clean your rifles perioidically to keep them running.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why though do they still use that crappy red sealent around the primer...It seems like this would be one final step towards making Wolf complaint free.

Complaint free?  Believe me, there's nothing so wonderful that someone won't hate it.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have no problem if the sealent caused problems due to my neglect. The only reason I have not cleaned the rifle is because I want to see just how dirty it will run. So far it is performing great.

I just don't see the point in using sealent on practice ammo when that sealent adds to the gunk the ammo creates and that could cause problems over time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be nice if people in general just STFU about wolf.

With the exception of anylizing terminal ballistics, there is nothing freaking wrong with wolf ammo.  

Why, just last weekend, I bumpfired almost 400 rounds thru my AR, no problems.  Didn't expect any either.

I'm comming to the conclusion that folks that criticize wolf ammo, for use as range ammo, generally don't know what they are talking about, and try to impress the rest of us with how little they actually know.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

With the exception of anylizing terminal ballistics, there is nothing freaking wrong with wolf ammo.  

Why, just last weekend, I bumpfired almost 400 rounds thru my AR, no problems.  Didn't expect any either.

I'm comming to the conclusion that folks that criticize wolf ammo, for use as range ammo, generally don't know what they are talking about, and try to impress the rest of us with how little they actually know.

I am mystified if you consider my post to fit into the critize/impress/full of shit category. I stated an observation that the red primer sealent is coming off in my rifle. Speculated that it was unecessary for practice ammo and asked why it was there (concious that I am no expert), and then came to the conclusion that if it was not necessary, the ammo would be even better than it already is if the sealent was eliminated.

The point of my post WAS NOT to bitch about Wolf, but rather to bring up one remaining issue with an ammo that I like very much. Man people are here are getting snotty attiitudes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The thing is, wolf is NOT produced as "practice" or "range" ammo.  It is simply sold as "ammunition".

It's the ammo whores here, and cheap bastards like me, that relegate it to the "blasting ammo" category.

The truth is wolf is every bit as good (again, excepting terminal ballistics) as any other .223 ammo you can get.  Just a lot cheaper.

I just am getting frustraded when a few folks around here repetedly report zero problems after shooting thru a case of the stuff, then others, like you, hypothesize about primer sealant, without actually encountering a failure.

Does that clear up my position?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand your position better. I have encountered zero problems and think Wolf is great ammo for the range. My question of why the primer sealent is necessary, especially if it has the potential to flake off and gunk up the internals, has not yet been answered. Many other varieties of commercial ammo, and even some of the beloved XM193, lack primer sealent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Indeed

Anyone that has Wolf and doesn't want it, send it to me!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
especially if it has the potential to flake off and gunk up the internals, has not yet been answered.

Probably because you have not proved there is a problem with it 'gunking up the internals'.

So many of us have run the ammo and not had our internals 'gunked up' with read sealer.  Was there flakes of red sealer present when I cleaned?  Hell Yeah!  But there was a crapload more carbon (Wolf is one of the dirtier ammos).

I cleaned the rifle and went about my life.  Theorizing that .00012g of a sealer per rifle is going to gunk up the works is a bit silly.  Do you bitch about the sealer on XM193/Q3131A/XM855 too?

Many other varieties of commercial ammo, and even some of the beloved XM193, lack primer sealent.

XM193 comes with sealer - unless there was a problem at the factory.  Which means the sealer was unintentially left off.  If its true surplus M193 then it has sealer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]

QUIT BUYING THAT STUFF YOU CLOWNS!!!

Everytime i go and order it for myself they are sold out

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]

I'd love to try a few thousand rounds of wolf, but the range I go to doesn't allow it.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a few of these torture tests with Wolf and the carbon crud on the bolt will cause malfunctions long before the red sealant does anything meaningful.  This was with the early Wolf where the case sealant supposely jams the case in the chamber.  Had no jams but did learn to hit that forward assist though.  It's good to know how long a particular upper can go without cleaning before it fails to lockup.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I think for the most part you guys are missing the authors point. My.02
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Gee, when I shoot my Garand with LC 69 M-2 ball, I get red primer sealant on my bolt face. I guess I'd better get rid of that crappy LC stuff. Geesh. Just clean your bolt face. You brush the crap off your teeth don't you? Clean your damn bolt face and don't worry about it. Shoot that Wolf and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gee, when I shoot my Garand with LC 69 M-2 ball, I get red primer sealant on my bolt face. I guess I'd better get rid of that crappy LC stuff. Geesh. Just clean your bolt face. You brush the crap off your teeth don't you? Clean your damn bolt face and don't worry about it. Shoot that Wolf and have fun.

Yeah, everyone knows that LC it totally POS, right???
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The biggest unexpected deficiency I noted with Wolf ammo after they moved to the gray polymer coating is how less resistant to corrosion it is.  Even just sitting in a humid basement for a week was enough to promote rust formation on the casing.  Some of the green laquered ammo I stored in similar conditions for over a year was completely unaffected.

It makes me wonder if the primer sealant on the polymer Wolf really serves any purpose.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Man I love WOLF.

I shot a 105 lb. 6 yr old DOE this past hunting season from 100 yrds. with my RED DOT using WOLF 55 gr. POLY.......

IT SHOOTS GREAT - Those that complain need to quit blaming the gun and blame the guy looking at them in the mirror.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Man I love WOLF.

I shot a 105 lb. 6 yr old DOE this past hunting season from 100 yrds. with my RED DOT using WOLF 55 gr. POLY.......

IT SHOOTS GREAT - Those that complain need to quit blaming the gun and blame the guy looking at them in the mirror.

YOU GUYS NEED TO READ THE POST. THis was not a complaint. Thank you though for your introspective advice. I'll make sure to go spend some time in front of the mirror asking what  deep down is causing this problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
urfubar, I'm curious, what load did you use???  Do they make a softpoint or did you use the FMJ?  Also how did it perform on the animal.  Did it make a .22 hole straight through the beast like people always claim?  Did it yaw?  I'm assuming it didn't fragment but that could be wrong too???  You don't realize how happy you could make some people if you tell us it performed well yawed and fragmented.  Don't lie though!!!  But I suppose they could say it was just freek and it's very inconsistent and they might be right, but I'm very interested in details.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
btw, my cousin has shot several deer with the wolf 7.62 x 39 hollow point for you non believers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]
This post is silly....the primer sealant isnt going to affect your weapon anymore than carbon is. They removed the sealant around the neck, because it was causing some issues...everyone uses some kind of primer sealant, you have to to keep the round "waterproof"....the red stuff that comes off of wolf cleans off the bolt face with a friggin Q-tip....

Personally im at 750 rounds of wolf without cleaning (I re-oil before each range session) and my colt M4 hasnt skipped a friggin beat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I shoot wolf in my SKS and the red primer sealant builds up a bit, but it cleans off easily.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top