Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 11:49:23 AM EDT
Hi all, recently this issue came up at work and hadnt been thought about in the past. Given that HP's expand due to fluid pressure acting on the cavity, shooting them under water is going to cause expansion prior to entry.

Any marine unit/Boat cops out there that have a Agency policy in place to switch to some non- HP type of ammo when working on water? (Obviously in case you fall into water is the issue).

Have any of you made it a FMJ only situation? if not what kind of other ammo have you considered or you actually use now?

Any help is appreciated.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have experience in this area.  It was never even a consideration, because there was never a thought given to it.  We were Surface Fleet so to speak

I had friends in a variety of agencies, state, local, county, and federal... none ever carried FMJ for duty.  Under any circumstance, that I'm aware of.

If it's a concern, tell yer guys not to shoot till the guns out of the water

Once the gun is out of the water, hydrostatic pressure is zero.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think any round is going to be effective under water.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't think any round is going to be effective under water.

Negative.  For example, the Glock 17 fitted with the marine spring cups and using NATO 9mm ball ammo is an effective, albeit short range round.  Decent accuracy and range for underwater CQB...

If you HAPPEN TO BE A SEAL
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
And if you dont wear ear underw. protection... byebye hearing. Also, it work safely in 9mm, don't shoot 40,10mm or 45 underwater.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top