Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 6:29:50 AM EDT
Ordering a Bushmaster Carbine (not sure which model yet?) and was wanting to know what is considered the best availible ammo for these carbines.
ie; In terms of functioning ,accuracy,reliablity.Cost is not a major factor.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
"Best ammo"  Who knows.

I like Black Hills blue box for accuracy.  52gr HP for me... in a 1/9 barrel, and if your barrel will shoot it ok, the 69gr is good stuff as well.  Excellent quality.

For functioning and reliability?  Winchester Q3131A and Federal XM193.

It depends on what kind of shooting you are gonna do, your range rules, etc.  Figure that out, then buy the cheapest ammo that meets those needs.  For some, it will be Wolf.  For others, it will be Fedral Gold Medal Match.  Depends on how you will be shooting.  If you are just starting out, get something cheap, so you will have more practice and trigger time..... then you can decide what is "best" for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
I would like to shoot only one type/brand of ammo for all purposes.Targets,plinking and self defense.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Well kinda but not really! In a pinch I'll shoot anything that goes bang.
My idea on the one ammo for everything is knowing exactly what it will and will not do in my particular weapon.But push comes to shove I'll shoot anything available.

I honestly only figure on putting maybe a few thousand rounds per year thru it and will stock up on what ever it likes best to put away for a rainy day.The difference in prices does not matter to me as I value my life a bit more than penny pinching.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
As in most things in life, there is no one best round, else we would all be using it already.

IMHO, if you want only one round to cover every purpose, then your purposes must be put into priority order, then you must pick the round which satisfies the most important purpose best.  However well that round satisfies the other purposes has to be accepted.

I would hazzard a guess that self defense is the most important. Since you have specified a carbine,  your options are to find the hottest round which will reliably fragment at reduced range, since your shorter 16" barrel will result in reduced muzzle velocity compared to a 20" or 24" barrel.

My own choice in these circumstances would be an M193 equivalent, either Federal XM193,  Winchester Q3131A or IMI M193.

See the AMMO FAQ for the moderators' choices.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks!
I would like to shoot only one type/brand of ammo for all purposes.Targets,plinking and self defense.

XM193 or Q3131A fits your needs perfectly, Son.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks thats kinda what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I really, really miss the GP90...that stuff was the "best"...when it was available.

These days, Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I only shoot Fed. XM193.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ordering a Bushmaster Carbine (not sure which model yet?) and was wanting to know what is considered the best availible ammo for these carbines.
ie; In terms of functioning ,accuracy,reliablity.Cost is not a major factor.
Thanks

Tough question .......... It's like asking . How much is a bag of grocery's ?

Depending on the barrel you get , you could have a 1-9 or a 1-8 on the DCM barrels .
So your best bet is to stay in the 58-68gr window . Then there is the question
of what range will you typically be shooting at ? , and what kind of MOA do you want ?
If your just plinking , anything that doesn't blow up your weapon , or puke its primers
should be fine . My Bushy's have never had a problem feeding or ejecting anything
I've crammed in their hole

There is a wealth of information on this site . Look around in the Ammo sections and
do some reading . Or just stick with name brand factory ammo until you have done the research and you will be fine .
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I really, really miss the GP90...that stuff was the "best"...when it was available.

Kinda weak on the "Self Defense" aspect that Possum58 was looking for.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top