Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 1:57:24 AM EDT
I know that +P and +P+ ammo is hotter and faster than regular ammo, but what I don't know is what exactly determines if ammo qualifies to have one of these designators.  So far, I've thought of two possibilities:

1.  Powder amount in cartridge:  Perhaps "regular" ammo has up to X grains per round and +P has up to X + Y grains, and +P+ has up to X+Y+Z grains of powder.

2.  Different type of powder:  Perhaps the + stuff has a different, faster burning type of powder, but in similar amounts to regular powder.

As the arfcom saying goes, edumacate me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Cases designed to handle the higher pressures and hotter powder charge weights.  There is +p load data out there using most common powders if you are a reloader.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
+P amd +P+ are pressure ratings. +P ammo is loaded above regular SAAMI pressure specs. +P+ is even higher pressure.

For example, SAAMI max for 9MM is 35,000 PSI. +P is 38,500. +P+ is even higher, but does not have a SAAMI standardized max level. A generally accepted standard is that +P+ is loaded to no more than 15% higher pressure than +P, which would mean about 44,000 PSI in 9MM. Actual +P+ 9MM is usually loaded no higher than 42,000 PSI.

Since +P+ is loaded without an industry standard, it is usually only sold to LE agencies, and only after they have signed a release of liablilty for the ammo manufacturer.

These higher pressure level can be reached by either of the ways you mention, as well as some others (hotter primers, brass with less internal volume, tighter crimp).
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought SAAMI also had an official +P rating for .45 ACP. Regular pressure is 21,000 PSI, +P is 23,000 PSI.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't shoot +P in a Glock, the barrels are only tested to work with regular spec ammo. If you want to go around shooting 9mm in +P or +P+, get a Beretta, their website says that the barrel and locking block are manufactured to withstand +p+ ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
+P and +P+ are for those with little pistol syndrome.....

Just kiddin' continue with the discussion.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
OK Maybe I'm mistaken. I must have read that from another site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK Maybe I'm mistaken. I must have read that from another site.

Yes I agree.  At this point, M882 and +p+ are the rounds I use in my G17.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top