Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 10:15:14 AM EDT
How do you do it? Please be specific, not "I store mine in cans" but how you lay them in the can (boxed, bandoleered, etc) and where you put that. Do you store 5.56 differently than 7.62?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
While there was an old thread in which Troy went into detail of how to "properly" store your ammo on strippers and in bandos, I cannot find it, (perhaps it's too old).

Here: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=161654&w=searchPop[/url]

Best I can do, perhaps Troy will resurrect that post and tack it to the top of the Ammunition Forum, (hint, hint.....[;)])

Mike

duuhhh, here's part of it in the Ammo Faq: [url]http://www.ammo-oracle.com/#storeammo[/url]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I store my general purpose 5.56mm ammo (Winchester Q3131A) in .50 caliber ammo cans. I leave it in the boxes and the manner in which I place the boxes allows me to pack 900 rounds per can. I then place it in a cool, dry spot that's out of sight and out of my way. I also have one .50 caliber can with a full load of Q3131A on strippers in bandoliers.

For the Black Hills specialty ammo I use, the storage method is the same. But the larger 50 rd boxes require a different arrangement.

As for 7.62mm ammo, I usually just leave it in the battlepacks until needed if that's how it comes. I have quite a bit of the South African and Port stuff in the battlepacks. Otherwise, if it's loose ammo or in boxes, I just place it into the can and store it like the rest of my ammo.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My general purpose ammo (Lake City M193) is kept in the 20 round boxes it comes in and stored in 7.62 ammo cans. I store loaded mags in an N340 ammo can and can fit twelve 30 rounders and twelve USGI 20 rounders into a single can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If I am storing ammo for a long duration, I like to store it in 20mm ammo cans.  You can fit over 4500 rnds of Q3131A in boxes in one of them.  Only issue is then moving the can, pretty much a two man job to get it off the floor or you would need a dolly if you wanted to move it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with jason_h. 20 mm cans hold a lot of ammo. I use them for non-portable storage of my stash. .50 & .30 cal. cans for when I must be mobile. I keep 12 ga., 7.62mm, and .22lr in their factory boxes,and most of my 5.56 is loose. Pistol ammo is loose as well. Regardless of how its packed, or what size can it in, they all get dessicant packs in them. All is stored in a constant temperature of 68*. I still have some ammo I loaded in 1993, and it shoots like it was made yesterday. Not to mention some vintage WW2 .30 cal. M-2 ball ammo for my M-1. Shoots like brand new. The "secret" to long term storage is: low humidity, and consistant temperature.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top