Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 4:25:01 PM EDT
My Local sporting goods/shooting store had Wolf .223 on same for $3 per 20 round pack. I was going to pick up some but I often hear bad things about it.

Does anybody have any experience with using Wolf ammo? Is the steel case ok to use in an AR? What about the lacquer?

Thanks

The Chear
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot around 6-7k rounds of wolf .223 through my bushmaster m4 with a chrome lined barrel and a bushmaster with a SS barrel. I have had 0 failures to fire 0 failures to extract. I generally shoot a mix of wolf and q3131a or LC when i go out shooting so i cant say whether its noticably dirtier. The original problems with wolf was the red sealant located around the where the bullet sits in the case. Wolf has since done away with the red sealant. The lacquer used on the case does not melt and the amount of force required to scrape the lacquer off the case is enough to remove metal  off a brass case. So unless your spent brass has massive scrape marks on it then you have nothing to worry about. I dont know whether or not it causes wear to the bolt and extractor but in my opinion it doesnt. The metal used in the case is probably several times softer than the extractor and i never noticed the lacquer scraped or damaged in the area where its grabbed by the extractor. Try some if it works then you just found your self a cheap source of plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy ain't great but it works fine for me. I use the higher quality stuff (Q3131A and handloads using brass cases) for my AR but in my Saiga (Which seriously damages cases when ejecting) I use Wolf, can't reload a damaged case so it might as well be a steel one.
Only possible problem with Wolf is that it doesn't perform well as an actual combat type round. Read the [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] for more info on that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the way you couched the question.  "What is your personal experience".  I don't usualy participate in wolf flame wars because if I say Wolf Sucks sombody else usualy tells me I'm stupid or my gun is a POS.  However since you asked for my personal experience I'll give it to you.

I shot 1000 rounds through my Bushmaster 16" Carbine.  It has a smooth 5.56 Mill Spec chamber and is chrome lined.  Ot runs fine on Q3131a.  It choked on the lot of wolf I had.  Many many rounds got stuck in the chamber and had to be removed with a cleaning rod.  I also broke an extractor pin while using wolf.

I can't say for shure wolf broke the pin but I have never broken one while shooting any brass caseed ammo and I have shot many thousands.

I heard that the stuck cases were due to the green laqure so I took a torch to a spent case and got it very hot and the laquer never melted.  Wolf now says it was their case neck sealent which they have quit using.  

I would try wolf again without the case neck sealent but I am fortunate enough to ba able to afford Q3131a and xm193 so that's what I shoot now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Many thousands of rounds through a variety of small arms, both semi, and full auto.

Only one problem, occuring with a very new BYF-42 P-38, that preferred 124 grain slugs.

Otherwise, it's proven to be perfectly adequate ammo for play.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You'd be paying too much for it, but Wolf functions perfectly in my firearms, and in my friends'.

In fact.. all I use now is Wolf.. Wolf .22, Wolf .223, Wolf 9mm, Wolf 7.62x54R, Wolf .40, Wolf 12 gauge.

No ammunition related failures in anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The price you have is fairly expensive.  Shop around on the net.  You should be able to find 1000 rnds for around $100-130.  You might even be able to get it for a little less.  

My experience has been great.  No failures to fire and reliable feeding.  I shoot better stuff when I can find it cheap but if not.....I shoot Wolf!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have shot a bunch of it with no problems, but it is dirty and doesn't smell as good as other ammo. I prefer SA, and Q3131A, but Wolf is OK. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow.. You really gotta look around better for wolf.. Last gun show I bought a case (1000) for 95 + tax.. Same dealer had q3131a for 150 a case too. =)
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've found Wolf for $90/1000 delivered before.
I think [url]www.centerfiresystems.com[/url] runs a "free shipping" sale at least once a year.

I've shot several thousand rounds over the years through a Bushmaster and two different Mini 14s.
(It was even part of my "torture test", where I put over 800 rounds through the Bushmaster without cleaning it.)
No problems.

As someone else said, the accuracy really sucks in all of the guns I've tried, but it is good for an afternoon at the range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 1000 rounds for an AR.  Had a bunch of FTE that I had to knock out with a cleaning rod.  I called the 800 number and sent 500 rounds back and they refunded my money, so can't complain about that.  They said their ammo was not designed to be used in match chambers...  I shoot it all the time in an AK with no problems.  AR's seem to be hit and miss, so best thing to do is try it in your particular firearm and see if it runs.  If it does, bully for you, cause you've got cheap plinking ammo!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I've put about 8k rounds of wolf through my various ARs.  I love the stuff.  It shoots well for me.  As others have stated accuracy could be better but is more than adequate for play.  I agree that the early problems with it stem from the case mouth red sealant.  I had this occur in one of my non chromed uppers.  I was dubiuous so i tried some without the sealant.  No problems.  Other than that no problems with it ever.  Now excessive wear on anything.  It is now all I buy for plinking and practice.  Last week at the range I put 300 rounds through my 16" carbine with 4moa red dot sight.  On a 4" black area of the bull at 100 yards all rounds stayed in the black.  Not sure that I could ask for more since the dot covered the whole black area of the target.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Guys

I picked up a 100 rounds of wolf yesterday and shot it off at the range.

Over all it was good, not very accurate, I got a 2" group at 100 yards, where as with better Federal & Remington I get sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

I had 1 FTE. Bolt cycled and no round was ejected, pulled the changing handle by hand and it ejected. No marring on the case and no damage to the bolt/ejector.

Thats it 1 problem with 100 rounds. Not too bad. When the funds come up I'll try more, but I'm pleased with the results.

The Cheat
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I had 1 FTE. Bolt cycled and no round was ejected, pulled the changing handle by hand and it ejected. No marring on the case and no damage to the bolt/ejector.
View Quote

Sounds like you extractor spring is weak.  I would replace it with an M-4 spring.  It should not have released the cartridge.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you extractor spring is weak.  I would replace it with an M-4 spring.  It should not have released the cartridge.

View Quote

Do you think?

I only put 1000 rounds through this rifle and everything ejects fine. I'll try to swap out the spring with a new one in my spares pack.

The Cheat
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Not your ejector spring but the extractor spring.

Replace it with an M-4 high strength spring, particularly if your rifle has a 16 or less inch barrel.  Not the standard extractor spring.

The extractor should tear thru the rim before it lets go if your spring is strong enough.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Just put 100 + rounds through my oly ar. No kind of problems at all, good blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Since you asked--bought a case of 1,000 rds. a few years ago (good deal, < $2 / box). [* also, mine was 62-grain, not 55-grain].

Firing in a Bushmaster upper, I've pulled through two rims in < 500 rds [= have to knock it out with a cleaning rod].  This is consistent with the experience of at least some others on this board.

As I'm at a point that I can pay a little more now, it's worth it to me to have more reliable ammo... I'll probably stick with LC or maybe Black Hills...   just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the way you couched the question.  "What is your personal experience".  I don't usualy participate in wolf flame wars because if I say Wolf Sucks sombody else usualy tells me I'm stupid or my gun is a POS.  However since you asked for my personal experience I'll give it to you.

I shot 1000 rounds through my Bushmaster 16" Carbine.  It has a smooth 5.56 Mill Spec chamber and is chrome lined.  Ot runs fine on Q3131a.  It choked on the lot of wolf I had.  Many many rounds got stuck in the chamber and had to be removed with a cleaning rod.  I also broke an extractor pin while using wolf.

I can't say for shure wolf broke the pin but I have never broken one while shooting any brass caseed ammo and I have shot many thousands.

I heard that the stuck cases were due to the green laqure so I took a torch to a spent case and got it very hot and the laquer never melted.  Wolf now says it was their case neck sealent which they have quit using.  

I would try wolf again without the case neck sealent but I am fortunate enough to ba able to afford Q3131a and xm193 so that's what I shoot now.
View Quote

still being new to my AR15 rifle (bushy m4), i must ask, when you say the round gets stuck in the chamber do you mean the shell casing is stuck? or do you mean the actual bullet it is stuck in the barrel? cuz if the bullet gets stuck thats a scary thought!

I 've shot some silver bear (only 40 rounds so far) and i had one jam (falure to load fully) these were lead tipped so i'm chalking it up to that..ITs not wolf, but its a similar type of bullet which i belive still has the red sealant..so similar..
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried some a while back in 4 different AR's, A preban Colt, preban parts gun, and 2 post ban Bushies.  It ran fine in all of my guns, but chrono'd in the 2700 fps range, while M193 goes 3100 fps+.  I probably won't shoot very much due to the low velocity.  I have many K's of South Afrikan, so that is what I shoot most often.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
SO-COM:

Apparently only other states have gun shows where deals are abundant.  Man, up here, one goes to a gun show to harass dealers for their outrageous prices.  

Local dealer charging $4.00 a box for Wolf, same price for LC XM193.  He didn't believe me when I told him how much Ammoman charges.  He claimed he couldn't find it anywhere on the website.  He happened to have his laptop by the register so within 5 seconds or so I showed him.  Started mumbling about lot #'s.  His lot 28 was better than Ammoman's lots 30-34.  Grasping at straws!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
6K rounds with one FTE out of my two AR's.  In an SAR-2 5.45 3 FTE's out of 2K rounds.  I'll keep buying it.  Last gun show it was $79 per K.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top