Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 11:55:11 PM EDT
I recently bought up some stock of wolf and XM 13 ammo.  I have them in 30 cal cans, and have just been throwing in those packes and tubes of Silica Gel you find in medicine, and shipments.  Is this alright???  Is this the kind of dessicant most of you use??  Just wanted to make sure before I went around trying to find more around the house!  Thanks

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the Gel packs that you may find around the house, have absorbed all they can take.  I use news paper folded to fit the can (On bottom and on top of the ammo). Make sure if you do use the news paper make sure you get new. I also rotate all my ammo so about the max amount of time the ammo is stored is about 4 years.  I don't store ammo much longer then that because I can't afford to. I reload/load a few thousand rounds a month, and use what has been stored the longest.  Now, I do have the reactivatable gel packs in the ammo cans with my percision rifle ammo. The small ones that are a little bit smaller then a sarden can cost about $4.00 and when they change color I put them in the oven and reactivate them. I also use the small Gel cans in all my gun cases. Hope this helps.

Simper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get new dessicant and silica gel at places such as hardware stores and even at Wal-Mart. It isn't that expensive.

But depending on your conditions, this stuff isn't necessarily a requirement. Before I put ammo away, I always place the ammo and the open can into a room and close the door. I fire up the dehumidifier and let it run until the relative humidity inside the room drops to about 30%, which is very dry. I then place the ammo in the cans and seal it up.

If the cans have a good seal and you keep it stored in a cool, dry place, you wouldn't have to even bother with dessicant unless you wanted to. I always run the dehumidifier a little each day or as needed, so my ammo and gun room is always nice and dry anyway.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can get new dessicant and silica gel at places such as hardware stores and even at Wal-Mart. It isn't that expensive.

But depending on your conditions, this stuff isn't necessarily a requirement. Before I put ammo away, I always place the ammo and the open can into a room and close the door. I fire up the dehumidifier and let it run until the relative humidity inside the room drops to about 30%, which is very dry. I then place the ammo in the cans and seal it up.

If the cans have a good seal and you keep it stored in a cool, dry place, you wouldn't have to even bother with dessicant unless you wanted to. I always run the dehumidifier a little each day or as needed, so my ammo and gun room is always nice and dry anyway.

-Charging Handle
View Quote
Hehe, I just put them in the can.. since a lot of the time the relative humidity in Denver is 12-15%.  And I use whatever I can find if I want to throw in a silica pack.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I place a 5oz packet of desiccant purchased from Cheaper than Dirt for $1.69 (item MGR-350) into each ammo can which contains stored ammo.  If I occasionally open the container, I also include a humidity card (item 083-053-100 from Brownells), which indicates the % humidity, thus indicating when the desiccant needs to be recharged (cooked).
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I use cat litter that is pure silica gel.  It comes as loose irregular crystals.  For $5 you can get over 5 lbs, enough to do a lot of ammo boxes.  Just put a handful in an old sock, tie it off and toss into the ammo box.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I buy that superDooper Kitty Litter...Read the lable it's mostlr silica crystals. I fill a old cock, knot it ant throw it in the can.

I've had stuff in "suspended Hiberation for years that way for years.

-Charging Handle
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top