Posted: 6/26/2003 6:48:38 PM EDT
I just acquired 3 boxes of each.
I have to sell 3, so which do I keep.

both are 127gr +P+ ranger ammo

the RA9SXTP is brass cased with Lubalux bullets &

the RA9TA is nickel cased with copper jacketed bullets

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot thousands of rounds of both.

They are ballistics are identical in every way and I have had zero functioning problems with either but in theory the lubalux coated bullet should have fewer feeding problems.

There is no real difference though so I would sell the Lubalux coated boxes because they tend to go for more on all the online auctions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Cnatra,

I have some RA9TA, as it's the newest and best of the Ranger designs. In fact, this is arguably one of the best 9mm loads money can buy (I rate it about even in performance to the 147 gr version). But it uses the copper jacketed bullets and not the black Lubalox coating. Are you sure you don't have the product numbers backwards? The older loads should use the black bullets as they have been dropped in favor of the new copper jacketing. Needless to say, the RA9TA should be by far the better of the two, so long as you have actual RA9TA ammo inside. If it has black bullets I would be highly suspicious because I don't recall any of this product number's ammo using the black coating. The RA9TA is designed to perform better after passing through clothing. Previous Black Talon and Ranger ammo had problems with expansion after passing through heavier clothing.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have shot thousands of rounds of both.

They are ballistics are identical in every way and I have had zero functioning problems with either but in theory the lubalux coated bullet should have fewer feeding problems.

There is no real difference though so I would sell the Lubalux coated boxes because they tend to go for more on all the online auctions.
View Quote

yeah, the shape of the bullets look identical
in fact I think I see a tinge of copper under the Lubalux ones

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have some RA9TA, as it's the newest and best of the Ranger designs. In fact, this is arguably one of the best 9mm loads money can buy (I rate it about even in performance to the 147 gr version). But it uses the copper jacketed bullets and not the black Lubalox coating. Are you sure you don't have the product numbers backwards? The older loads should use the black bullets as they have been dropped in favor of the new copper jacketing. Needless to say, the RA9TA should be by far the better of the two, so long as you have actual RA9TA ammo inside. If it has black bullets I would be highly suspicious because I don't recall any of this product number's ammo using the black coating. The RA9TA is designed to perform better after passing through clothing.
View Quote

I guess I did type that wrong

the RA9SXTP is the brass/Lubalux stuff
the RA9TA is the nickel/copper stuff

I guess I'll keep the newer ammo!
 Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
cnatra,
Keep the RA9TA as it is the "newest" of the Ranger T line design.

Things change over time as performance critera is tweek to optimum or specific bid needs.

The older RA9SXTP is better to sell as you could probably replace one old box with two new ones.
Best,
Sec1Ops
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top