Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 9:24:38 AM EDT
i have a bushy 16" dissapator model and i have tons of surplus , mil-spec, etc. ammo.but im wondering what sum ppl use for the ONE SHOT ONE KILL aspect(hunting, lol) ..im talkin 200yards +.or would ya jus trust the Q3131a and equivalant..maybe lookin for a nice HP w/ punch..thanks in advanced
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your wanting some BlackHills match HP.  [url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url] carries the full line, multiple grains to choose from, and great prices.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Super-accurate? different guns like different ammo

Super-effective? 77gr OTM NATO (order them through GPSS)
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
i c,, what bout using that heavy of a bullet in my barrel. (i have no idea what twist rate i have,,its a 2 year old bushmaster, dissapator.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
(i have no idea what twist rate i have,,its a 2 year old bushmaster
View Quote
I should be stamped near the muzzle of your barrel (the twist rate, that is)

Like Maverick said, different guns prefer different ammo. If you're serious about finding the "best" ammo out of your gun, you gotta do the legwork...

The journey is 1/2 the fun!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah thats cool..i jus wanted to get a general start..ill probably look at sum of the blackhills stuff.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
More than likely you have a 1/9 twist barrel.  But check to make sure though.

Like the others have said, different rifles like different ammo.  To truely find which is the most accurate out of YOUR rifle, you will have to test out as many grains and brands that you can.

For my 16" 1/9 twist, I like the Black Hills 69 gr Match HP.  That seems to work the best out of what I have tested so far.  But that is just my experience with my specific rifle, YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have a 16" 1:9
I bought some Federal Gold Match 69gr Sierra Match King to test for good accuracy.
Are these comparable to BlackHills 69gr HP load?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the different guns like different
ammo theme.
My 20" bushy 1/9 really likes win white box
wall mart 45gr jhp "varmint"    USA2232
This is the stuff Wall mart sells for under
12 bucks a box of 40. Not blasting ammo but
compared to federal 69gr bt match (which shoots
good in my gun but not as good as wall mart)
My 16" bushy w/ak mb 1/9 only shoots wall mart
win ok but likes Black hills 55fmj and 60sp
All this test was off the bench at 100 yd,I
guess I should repeat at 200 to double check
I have come to the conclusion that once I move
past blasting ammo level Black Hills is the way
to go. The remanufactured (blue)seems just as
good in my quick test. I like to buy mine from
the good folks at georgia shooting supply
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It really depends on what you intend to hunt with your gun. If you are talking smaller varmints, just get some of the various 50-55 gr polymer tipped rounds or HP's. However, if you move up to larger stuff such as deer, I'd recommend one of the 60-64 gr SP's. For this type of hunting you want a round that has some ability to penetrate deeply (something the varmint bullets aren't good at) with controlled expansion. This produces an effective wound but doesn't totally shred and destroy the meat like fragmenting bullets.

The OTM match bullets are very accurate. The M193 and M855 are often accurate enough. And at closer ranges, all of the above types fragment well (if the target is thick enough). But once you get past 200 yards, none of the commercial OTM loads or the M193/M855 will likely fragment. This is why you would be better off with a good softpoint. But if you intend to hunt deer sized game or larger in excess of 200 yards, let me recommend a bigger caliber. A .223 is marginally suited to this role at close range. At 200+ yards, your chances of wounding the animal will probably be better than cleanly killing it. For this type of hunting stick to a .243 with 100 gr SP's or something larger. Afterall, we don't want to wound an animal and let it run away, only to die a slow, agonizing death. A heavier caliber would be a much better choice shooting at more distant targets.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The three factory loads I have had the best luck with are:

Black Hills 52Gn JHP

Federal Gold Medal Match BTHP

Hornady 75Gn OTM
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top