Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
I was thinking of reloading my own 223 ammo for my new AR. Do you save money doing this? Is it pretty easy to do if I start with prepared brass,its pretty much prime,powder,crimp the bullet in right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to re-post this over in the reloading forum also, if you haven't already. There are lots of knowledegable folks over there that can answer just about any question you may have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The answer is "it depends". If you are adept at making (or your goal is) super accurate match ammo, you can certainly save alot of money.

If you are just loading plinking ammo, you can probably load it for about $.09 to $.12 per round. However, you can buy SA for about $.12 per round. So, it is pretty much a wash.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
it's pretty much a wash .....

.....but there's hardly any risk involved with factory or military ammo.  The vast majority of AR15 blowups occur while firing reloads.

I can see loading for match ammo, but not reloading for any purpose.  Use new primed brass (no Hazmat) and sell the once fired brass to folks who want to spend their time loading rather than practicing.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to reload all of my .223 ammo.  But the prices for SA battlepacks/cases made it difficult to continue, especially just for plinking.

I still reload 69gr Sierra Matchkings for bench/target.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Like the others have stated, I used to reload all of my 223.  Now, buying SA M193 for ~10 cents/round, I can't load it that cheap.  I calculated that it cost me around 12 cents/round to reload.  I do still reload my coyote loads, though.  55 grain Noslers & 748.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top